You know you have a great server OS when...

kilowatt

mach-o mach-o man
a program designed to keep your OS up-and-running reports the following things need to be installed:
* DVDPlayerUpdate-4.6
DVD Player (4.6), 10080K [recommended]
- AirPort-4.2
AirPort (4.2), 12630K
* iTunesPhoneDriver-1.0
iTunes Phone Driver (1.0), 380K [recommended] [restart]
* iPod2005-09-23-
iPod Updater 2005-09-23 ( ), 33560K [recommended]
* QuickTime-7.0.3
QuickTime (7.0.3), 33940K [recommended] [restart]
* iTunesX-6.0.1
iTunes (6.0.1), 13130K [recommended]
- AirPort-1.0
AirPort Update 2005-001 (1.0), 1440K [restart]

It's not a flame, I'm just admining my first OS X Server box after many years of other unix-based operating systems, and I find it funny.

As you can probably see, Software Update is really aimed more at desktop users than server use. If you are running a high-availability server, I would just mark each of these things as "Inactive" and then Software update will not bother prompting for future updates to these programs again.

Actually, it will only hide _these_. Future updates to the same packages will still show up. However: I must say I still find Apple should rework this. Also, Apple should give an option to "restart later". Right now, you have to force quit Software Update after it's installed everything if you want it to go away without rebooting.

What? You don't hook up your Motorola ROKR to your Mac OS X server to put music on it? What's wrong with you?

;)

Well, there are a few people who're using Mac OS X Server as their workstation OS. And why not... Might still want some consumer features on it. Maybe Software Update should simply let you pre-define what it should look for.

Yep. Here, surfing with my PowerBook running 10.4 Server.. ;)
I got tired of the client version.

And no worries for limits of not being able to install garageband or idvd when I can go to logic and dvd studio pro ...

Actually, it will only hide _these_. Future updates to the same packages will still show up.

Are you sure? On my old iBook I disabled the notifications for BlueTooth, Airport, iPod, iSight, iPhoto, iSync and so on, simply because at the time I didn't use any of these. I never got notified for further updates. Once I'd deactivated, for instance, "iPod software updater", it wouldn't prompt me for any future versions of that.

Maybe I was imagining the whole thing...

kilowatt said:
a program designed to keep your OS up-and-running reports the following things need to be installed:

It's not a flame, I'm just admining my first OS X Server box after many years of other unix-based operating systems, and I find it funny.

Last time I touched Mac OS X Server was 10.2, which stored apache virtual hosts in some funny proprietary binary format :D

May I ask what you're using Mac OS X Server for? I can't think of any other practical use than as a network boot and file sharing server.

I'm using it because this is what the client has choosen.

I wouldn't choose it for anything.

vhosts are now stored in standard apache config files, but that nasty gui app sure makes a mess of them.

Back