"You must restart your system" error when installing Tiger on a new drive

danfan521

Registered
While trying to install Mac OS 10.4 from the install DVD the install stops during the "Basic Install ..." phase and I get a gray screen that says "You must restart the system by pressing the power button ....." shown four different languages. I restart installation over and over, it never gets past that first section. Gray screen, panic stop.

I installed a new 200 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Ultra ATA/100 hard drive in my system. The system already had a 120 GB Maxtor. The 200GB is configured as the master and the 120GB as the slave. I have a new SIIG Ultra ATA/133 2 Channel PCI Interface (https://eshop.macsales.com/item/SIIG/SCMP4A12/) also installed.

Here's my configuration.

Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) 1GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.8
- SIIG Ultra ATA/133 2 Channel PCI Interface
- IOGEAR Hi-Speed USB 2.0 / FireWire 400 (1394A) Combo PCI Card
- MAXTOR STM3200820A (200 GB drive, master)
- MAXTOR 6B120P0 (120 GB drive, slave)

I tried disconnecting the 120GB hard drive, leaving just the 200 GB on the bus and I get the same gray screen a few seconds into the basic OS install. Tried removing the IOGEAR USB 2.0 card, same message. Since Mac OS X was originally installed on the 120GB, I can restart Mac OS 10.4.8 from that drive and use that drive. Once restarted on the 120GB drive I see the 200 GB drive, Disk utilities see it just fine, drive reports no error in the Disk Utility. The 200 GB disk even formats, I see it on my current MAC OS 10.4.8 as the second drive. I just want to get Mac OS installed on the 200 GB.

I tried formating the drive after booting into my old system. That seems to work. But copying any files to that drive seems to give me the same gray screen and I have to power off.

If you have seen this gray screen before installing on a 200 GB Maxtor or have any insight I would be most appreciated.

Back