You need to restart your computer.

GASC

Registered
Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button. • I have been getting this error message on start up now repeatedly on two different computers (PowerBook Pro and 2.66 iMac) running OS 10.54. New OS has been running without problems for several months until now. Apple icon appears briefly on screen followed by a black rectangle with the above message. I can start in target mode and have run Disk Repair which comes up with a "apprear to be ok" message. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Hi gasc,

Did you install anything (hardware, software) before these errors started to occur?
Any extra RAM? How much empty space do you have?
Can you boot to safe mode?

No hardware or software changes. Both computers are running on an ethernet network. Lots of available space on iMac (20% used), Powerbook is 80% full. PowerBook has max RAM, iMac has 2G (I have an additional 2G which I haven't installed yet). Start up produces a 5 second grey screen, followed by the apple icon for 5 seconds and then the error message. I can start in Safe Mode - thanks for the suggestion. kevin

Do you have any startup items?
(sys. prefs > accounts > your account > login items) if there are any, remove them.
Does your system come wiht login screen (when it works) or log in directly as a user?

When you are in safe boot, look for a file called panic.log and upload its contents here. That should tell what was calling for the kernel panic.

Thanks for all your help Giaguara. I hauled the iMac into the store for warranty service and they diagnosed an improperly installed airport card. I'm on my way to pick it up. They termed my error message "Kernal paniced" caused by a software glitch or hardware problem. No resolution on the PowerBook yet, we'll see if the problem continues. thanks.

Back