Your guesses on Secret Leopard functionality

I think that touch screen LCD displays for desktop/laptop could be useful for some things, but not as a primary user interface - it's great for iPhone. I couldn't imaging reaching for my display as the primary user interface - the shoulder strain, arm fatigue, and the time required to constantly be reaching, especially with large displays. People see science fiction with actors interacting with displays - that takes a lot of work to flail your arms about to get work done - NOT FUN!

Voice recognition doesn't make sense in _so_ many places... Basically, it *only* makes sense when you're alone in your room. And even _then_, a keyboard simply is the better data-entry device.

In the past, Apple also has a history of only implementing these things (handwriting recognition and voice recognition) half-arsedly, i.e. only with English (and only American-English at that) speaking/writing people.

So *if* Apple's really still working at that concept, I seriously doubt they could simply "do it right". It would take a lot of - and a lot of _international_ - work that would tend to leak out information. I'm almost certain we would know about _such_ a feature more in advance.

But again: For 99.9% of all situations, voice recog simply makes no sense at all.

I think that touch screen LCD displays for desktop/laptop could be useful for some things, but not as a primary user interface - it's great for iPhone. I couldn't imaging reaching for my display as the primary user interface - the shoulder strain, arm fatigue, and the time required to constantly be reaching, especially with large displays. People see science fiction with actors interacting with displays - that takes a lot of work to flail your arms about to get work done - NOT FUN!

as a creative, it pains to have to be so precise working with a computer, i love using paper and stuff becuase i can use my hands so much more, and i can be far more expressive with them. i'd love a 24" multitouch display with full support in Leopard. Illustrator Muiltitouch-style would be amazing, as would something like Cinema4D.

I think the touch-screen concept is really going to work in an all-in-one digital entertainment system.

I believe it's been said previously in this thread, but it would be great if Apple could implement all of these user interface mechanism at once. I agree with Fryke that controlling your computer with voice recognition is really only good for 1% of your life, IE "turn on the lights" or "play this video"; not something you'd use to input a short story.

However, Leopard should be about the next-gen. How will I communicate with my computer when Intel comes out with that 80-core chip? Let's start paving the way to AI, shall we? :)

I'd like to see a few graphical enhancements — get rid of the brushed metal and get some kind of nice new look. I'd also like to see windows fade open and closed like they do on Vista, I think it makes the system look a lot nicer.

I'd like to see a few graphical enhancements — get rid of the brushed metal and get some kind of nice new look. I'd also like to see windows fade open and closed like they do on Vista, I think it makes the system look a lot nicer.

The eye candy looks nice for about 10 minutes, but when one is working hard and trying to get things done to meet a dead line, I don't like WAITING for the GUI to 'get with the program' just to look COOL. I wouldn't mind the eye candy, as long as I have control over it and can disable it in a control panel. As fast as computers are today, the user interface has actually been slowing down with useless 'cool' visual effects such as windows and menus fading in and out. Well, I suppose I should mention that I'm a pharmaceutical scientist, and I understand that Corporate America always requires its employees to think creatively and differently to meet the managers' question of 'what have you done lately?' I actually wait for Microsoft Windows XP's user interface even though my IBM Thinkpad has a Core Duo processor in it. There's absolutely no reason for me to wait on a GUI for 'coolness' when I'm busting hind end to bring medicines to benefit people.

I use my Mac at home for some of the work because it's faster and has dual displays. I don't take proprietary stuff to the Mac via a USB jumpdrive, but I use Spotlight to search through scientific literature - WOW it is FAST for using keywords for sifting through scientific literature - helps me significantly with research. I even do some graphical editing in GIMP and place the pictures in PowerPoint just because I know the Mac better.

New "Secret" Leopard Functionality??

Thin Client Support!!!

Leopard Server will include a 'Terminal Services' of sorts - Apple will either reuse RDP (probable) or come up with their own display protocol, and allow Macs to run apps remotely off Mac servers. A user will be able to login to the corporate server and run Mac, Windows and Unix apps simultaneously on the same display. And of course Apple will have its own innovations / additions for it.

When they came out with the Intel, they told everyone to move to XCode - I bet that XCode will make the transition to thin-client capable apps relatively seamless.

For Leopard Client, it will be a remote admin tool - similar to what came out in XP .. l

And of course Leopard will nicely coincide with Apple's release of the Mac Station, a Thin Client Terminal Device.

I just wanna see something for the mac, that will make third party game developers switch to mac, thats all I want right now.

ZFS would be a nice feature though, the specs and features of the FS read very interesting

There are plenty of rumours that ZFS will be a part of Leopard.

Also, since resolution independence is already working nicely in the dev builds, I wouldn't be surprised to see SVG / Vector based icons, buttons and GUI elements. This would make the new interface the sweetest, smoothest, slickest and most lickable GUI they've ever done.

I expect metadata and tags to become a bigger part of the system, with a serious rethink of Spotlight and the Finder - though I doubt we've seen the last of the traditional things-in-folders file system just yet.

One feature-name that has turned up in Apple's press that hasn't really been explained yet is "Live Preview". Whatever it is, it justifies an entire session stream at the next WWDC conference!

Isn't "Live Preview" simply the Finder's new ability to show media (pictures, movies) in one of those dark-transparent containers in full-size and fullscreen? At least that's what I remember about it. It's nice. Certainly much more useful than previewing movies in column view (too small).

How do you do that? I never knew about it, except for the column-view preview.

Are you a developer? If you are, it's a simple right-click on a picture/video/etc and choosing to quick view it. The media will come up in a nice little black box.

Tiger, of course, doesn't do this.

What is it with people who want the demise of the Folder system?

Given the erratic and tedious behaviour of Spotlight's searching function, I feel much more comfortable in just knowing a file is where I left it last.

What needs fixing in Finder is exactly those things that simply don't work, or work badly, like Spotlight and smart folders, not abandoning the option for maintaining your own personal organisational methods. Whatever that may be to satisfy needs that Apple and its programers simply can't anticipate.

As anyone who does research knows, nothing beats a browse of the actual bookshelves to find all the material mislabled, or simply omitted or misplaced in the index.

Since the inception of OSX there has been a drive to put the simple to understand real world model of the original Mac in a coffin and return computing to its "rightful" place as an elite activity of the IT priestly class.

To get back on topic.

What I expect from Leopard, is exactly what you have been shown.

Any "secret" features will be of the trivial 5 minute "gee whiz" kind that will be turned off or ignored when reality finally rears its ugly head.

What I would like from Leopard is a return to the spit & polish and responsiveness of the classic Mac OS. Apple should put a lot of effort into eliminating every one of the remaining GUI bugs and OS nasties that get in the way of productivity and getting the job done.

Now that there are virtually no hardware differences between PCs and Macs it really comes down to which OS does a better job.

Hanging spinning disco balls off the rear vision mirror might distract you from the gas guzzling habits of your SUV and its tendency to reverse over your smaller children, but it does not make it a better means of transport.

I'm thinking the secrets will by primarily AppleTV and iPhone related. Some of the "secrets" have started slipping now…things like AppleTV export from Quicktime Pro.

I would like to see the GUI get a make over, the brush metal look is getting out dated. Also, I would like Apple to add the ability to change more elements of the interface.
Finder, hopefully will get re-worked. And being able to add your own meta-data, as everyone as mentioned is a function all ready in Vista. I would also like to see, although they would be accused of stealing from Windows, but being able to put small previews on the folder icons. This is very handy when you have many folders with similar contents (music, photos).
The features they have all ready mentioned during the keynote sound sweet. :)

as a creative, it pains to have to be so precise working with a computer, i love using paper and stuff becuase i can use my hands so much more, and i can be far more expressive with them. i'd love a 24" multitouch display with full support in Leopard. Illustrator Muiltitouch-style would be amazing, as would something like Cinema4D.

I was just thinking about this if apple can pull this off and pull it off really well, then it could give creatives a real reason to use the mac.

I have read a few threads withen the last year or so about why the mac is best for design and to be honest, theres not that many reasons as to why you would want to pick a mac over a windows based PC.

Yeah, sure theres the loyalty thing with apple design industry history, and the fact that your using a computer that has good design. Apart from those points one of the only real tangible software or hardware advantage is that the mac osx is a more professional and work based OS I guess, nothing specializing in design.

If they get this hands on thing working (someone was talking about a Cinema display layed down on a table which I liked a idea of) Then it could give apple a more physical and 'real' advantage over using mac over a PC for design. maybe win abit more support back from the Design industry.

Back