Your Mac's Startup Time

Mat

iSmell
Hi

I thought it would be interesting to see which system and what configuration had the fastest start-up time.

Please post your start-up time and OS version, RAM, HD size, Processor/Processor Speed and Model (eg. iBook, G4, PowerBook etc.). So everyone has the same time measured start timing when you press the power button and stop when all icons and desktop items appear. And round times to the nearest second.

I'll go first.

1min 23secs.
iBook 700MHz, 30GB HD, 640MB RAM, OS 10.2.6

1min 19secs
Blue/White G3 350MHz, 6GB HD, 64MB RAM, OS 9.2.2

So this is total time it takes the computer to stop the boot process, loading startup items, etc.? Do we get to pause the stopwatch to enter our passwords?

Nah, mine has the longest startup time, which means I'm winning (from the same school of logic that brought you GOLF)

iBook 500 - 2:45

Just as well I don't have to do that except for software updates.

1 min. 19 sec.
PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet), G4/500 w/1MB L2, 512 MB of RAM, 8 GB primary HD, 2 GB extension bay HD, Mac OS X v10.2.1

1 min. 25 sec.
iMac, G3/350 w/512k L2, 384 MB of RAM, 30 GB HD (partitioned into three volumes), Mac OS X v10.2.6

Wake from sleep times? Like zero, zilch, nil, nothing, none, nihil, nada, nulla, niente, nichts, niets, rien? :D

3 seconds... Mostly the monitor warming up before I can see anything. :p

Oh wait, you want me to turn my Mac all the way off??? Why would I do that? :confused: :p

Heh, with you on that one, Sogni. Heck, I don't even put my machine to sleep, much less shut it down. :p

Err, if I was to do this, I wouldn't wait until everything finished loading....I have about 10-15 applications setup to launch when I log in, it takes a while for them to sort themselves all out on those few occasions I have to restart.

My G4 933 start up time is 60 seconds. I started up in OSX 10.2.6 and OS9 and both were the same, 60 seconds.

For OS X, my iMac takes 1 minute 21 seconds to get to the login screen and 2 minutes 17 seconds total, not counting the time it takes me to enter my password. (More times coming later, when I boot into other systems.)

My iBook (see sig)

Takes 43 seconds from the boot sound, to the login screen :p

Panther sure helped this, and well as me deleting some startup items :p

For OS 9, my iMac takes about 2 minutes to boot.

If I had it, I would pay lots of money to Apple for a computer that would boot in under 15 seconds, not counting the time it would take to enter my password.

Back