• 1280 X 960

• 1280 X 1024 or higher

• widescreen aspect ratio

• I have no clue

• Under 800 X 600

Results are only viewable after voting.

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
Just wondering since I've been designing sites lately for 1024 x 768. Also if you don't know, post your viewable monitor size if you can. Although chances are, if you're come this far, you know.

I spit *puh* at any resolution lower than 1600x1200. I don't know how I'd get along without it. I heard Toshiba makes a 15" laptop with 1600x1200 ... I want one. :D

- Brian

Most of my systems are at 1024 x 768 or higher. I've found that many Windows users are unwilling to move beyond 800 x 600 because of the number of Windows apps that are only able to run at full screen when at 800 x 600 (for some reason many Windows users are afraid of their desktops or seeing other apps in the background).

Personally, I have designed all the sites that I've done to 800 x 600 for this very reason. It seems counter productive to design a site to what looks good on my system but not on a majority of the systems visiting those sites. And I also keep all my browser windows to about the size that they would be if they were full screen on an 800 x 600 display. I tend to work with a number of browsers and browser windows open at any one time and I like to be able to move between them and see what is happening in other windows in the background.

Beyond that, I have seen first hand that any site that requires someone to scroll horizontally while reading isn't going to see much return traffic.

racer: yeah, I seem to be encountering the same problems. And even at work where we have about 20 full time iMacs, I'd say most of them are running 800 X 600. I had the sad experience of seeing what my site looked like on one of those screens and all the shuffling back and forth on the scroll bars absolutely ruined the layout. It was a crying shame, especially without quartz font smoothing.

I use 1024x768 because anything higher than that runs at less than 85 Hz, and that Hz my eyes. Har har. I need to disable the plug and play signal pins on this monitor and see what I can make it do...

Hahaha, "Hz my eyes." Mine's running at like, 75 Hz, and the flicker is absolutely horriffic, but the extra real estate just barely outweighs the blinding eye pains... :) If Apple ever makes the 23" ridiculously affordable, I won't have to worry about that.

As for websites ... I still tend to design with 640x480 in mind, for some reason. I'm also quite attached to the web-safe color palette. Tradition, I guess?

- Brian

EGADS. I just flipped my resolution to 600x800 and tried it out at 56 Hz. I think I'm dying... Go on without me...

1280x1024. I am using the studi 17' display. I do wish the res was higher. How are the new iMacs at max screen res? Is is comfortable on the eyes?

I have 1280x1024 on both my monitors...apple 17" LCD and some generic 17" CRT. I would have it higher if they supported it.

The difference between the 2 screens is amazing...long live the LCD! But two-heads are better than one...I am convinced.

1280x960. I like the graphics to be small so i can have two long column-view windows open at the same time. I dont think the human eye really could notice any difference for things higher than 60 hz. Sure, you seem to notice something just when you switcg, but that is because it goes way down under 60 for a few seconds before it settles on 75.

I dont think the human eye really could notice any difference for things higher than 60 hz.
Oh yes, it can.

Lots of people can notice the difference between 60Hz and 75Hz. I certainly can. If I try to run with 60Hz for more than 5 or 10 minutes, I start to get migraine-like symptoms - headache, nausea, etc.. The difference is certainly visible. If you're the kind that thinks "we're" crazy 'cos we can see it, count yourself lucky. It's a curse, not a blessing.

The difference between 75Hz and 85Hz is less noticeable... To me, anyway. I do sortof feel a difference, but it doesn't really bother me. I can understand why it bothers some people, though.

I've decided, though, that my PowerBook is going to be my "main" machine for the foreseeable future, and I don't have to think about refresh rates at all... :p

Oh, yeah.. 1280x854 (PB/G4/800/512/40).. ;)

1600x1200 is my minimum resolution on a 19" monitor. I like to be able to see 300+ columns of text clearly when looking at the report files generated by some of the applications I use.

1280 x 1024 - but I don't have my browser windows set to take up the whole screen...hmm...probably they're closer to 1024 x 768 (not exactly, but probably close).

I've got one of those monster studio display 21" monitors - if you haven't seen one, they weigh 77 pounds. One of these days I'm gonna buy me a nice LCD screen...I move a lot, and dang am I tired of carrying this thing up and down stairs. :p

I can only use 1024x798 because that is all the iBook supports. That is really the only thing that I wanted to get the PowerBook instead of the iBook for; I LOVE big screen resolutions. I wish Apple hadn't crippled it like this...

I dont think the human eye really could notice any difference for things higher than 60 hz.

People with glasses (though not my case) do see the difference Kenny evoked.

I use 1024x768 and develop sites in 770x550 = 800x600 screen res - browser + OS toolbars.

1280x960 on my 17" CRT studio display. 1024x768 just doesn't look right on it, makes all the fonts look stretched horizontally.

Edit: Oops! I meant 1280*1024 looks stretched, not 1024*768...

Back