Cidade de Deuce
The Breakfast Club
A Clockwark Orange
The Empire Strikes Back
Citizen Kane
Dr. Strangelove
L'avventura
Empire Records

I guess my favorite would have to be Cidade de Deuce. It was absolutely brilliant. It's a shame I had to see it via DivX, since it's not available in the USA. Anyone who hasn't seen it, stop what you're doing and find it, or if you live in the big 50 like I do, go and search for it online.

If I posted my favorites here the thread would be burnt to a crisp and I'd be sent off to prison for sure. :D

Shrek (seen it a dozen times)
Le fabouleux destin d'Amelie Poulain (marvelous, simply marvelous)
Non ci resta che piangere (great movie)
Doctor Strangelove (Peter Sellers is realy good in this one)
Space Odissey 2001 (The book is better, but still ...)
Forrest Gump (wonderful)
Fantasia (the old one, of course)
Dinner for one (well, not really a movie ...)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (an absolute classic)
... and all of the Monty Python movies!

Hulk and arden are right, it's really difficult to give a definitive list. IN other occasions I would probably have listed other movies. Maybe we could do a top ten per genre?

In order

1. The Matrix
2. Austin Powers 1
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Joe Dirt
5. Austin Powers 2
6. Lord of the Rings 2
8. Austin Powers 3
9. Happy Gilmore
10. There's Something About Mary

Mat

since they range some different genres, I don't think they should be classified in a certain order

braveheart
cool hand luke
office space
ocean's eleven (new one)
Black Hawk Down
star wars (I count them all as 1)
Bad Boys
Bad Boys 2
The Burbs
the matrix

FYI: Grease was about the 1950s, though it came out in 1978. It was a stage musical for years before the film came out, but the script was altered significantly for the big screen. In fact, it was the popularity of the live musical 'Grease' that prompted the TV studios to go ahead with 'Happy Days'...

My faves: I like FX, but eye candy alone doth not a movie make...

2001: A Space Odyssey - True Sci-Fi, not just a western/swashbuckler set in outer space. Plus, though made in 1968 - the year I was born - the effects, sets, props etc. remain unsurpassed in their plausibility.

Alien (1) - Bar none the scariest film I have ever seen. A lot more far-out than 2001:ASO, but as a sci-fi horror film, outstanding. Alas, the sets and technology in that first film look kinda dated now.

I'll add more as I think of them...

movies are like music to me. it all depends on my mood.

i can't believe no one mentioned anything from the Rocky series. there are no better pump you up films.

am i the only one who thinks "the good, the bad, and the ugly" was overrated? i watched it and found it amazingly boring. i usually like westerns, but not that one.

Which version? I believe the Leonardo DiCrappio version was a remake.

Brian: Don't you love that transition from flying bone to flying ship?

I can't choose only 10 or to put them in order. A try:

- Godfather I- III
- Blade Runner
- Matrix
- Pirates of the Caribbean (I could watch it again and again..)
- Carne Tremula ('Live Flesh', Almodovar; any Almodovar film is my favorite so should be in the list too: Todo Sobre Mi Madre (All About My Mother), Hable Con Ella (Talk To Her) etc)
- Shrek or Monsters Inc. or Ice Age - or all of those. I love cartoons that are not for adults only
- Requiem For A Dream
- Trainspotting
- The Long Goodbye (one of the only films I remembered exactly how I felt after seeing it 12 years ago)
- Man and The Naked Gun - series. I love mafia and 007 parodies :)
- Nuovo Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino.

Godfather III? Not to mock anyone's choices (especially when Adam Sandler gets several nods) but zip for Citizen Kane, Casablanca, It's A Wonderful Life, Wizard Of Oz and Gone With The Wind.
But GF3? even Al distanced himself from that one, saying the intention was good. :)

Fryke, noticed you're a Lars fan. what did you think of Dogville? Saw it more than 3 months ago in Paris and still can't make up my mind about it.

III .. i've seen them all but never together. Umh. They are just so .. parody of itself. I think I'll watch all the gf's one day, first I then II then III ...

You've seen the Godfather Saga, right? With the films all running in chronological order? A great way. Especially when you think Brando does a good imitation of De Niro even though it's the other way around. And the concentrated scenes of Michael from II are just striking. No time for pause, just more and more evil. Great stuff.

Other missing "classics": Blazing Saddles, Life Of Brian, Midnight Run, Big Trouble In Little China, Mad Max, Unforgiven, Raiders Of the Lost Ark, Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan, Dirty Harry, Rocky I/II.

i think that is ok to have Adam Sandler movies on someone list since because i view them differently, a movie like Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison is just entertaining and makes you feel good even if it isnt a "deep film"

but zip for Citizen Kane
and i find Citizen Kane overated, i didnt find it as engaging as i expected, albeit the camera angles and cinematography were very good

Arden: indeed, the longest flash-forward in film history! I think I've read (though it was in no way obvious) that Kubrick & Clarke intended the ship to be an orbiting weapon satellite. Hence a cut from an ancient weapon (bone club) to a futuristic one.

This is very difficult to me ... the order change in accordance with weater, feeling, etc ... so I'll try to list the "everlasting top" in no particula order (they are all at the same fist place)

Amici miei
...aka My Friends (1975)
Amici miei atto II (1982)
...aka All My Friends Part 2 (1982) (International: English title)
...aka My Friends Act II (1982)
Amici miei atto III (1985)
...aka All My Friends Part 3 (1985) (International: English title)
...aka My Friends Act III (1985)
Blade Runner (1982)
The Matrix (1999)
Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo (and all Sergio Leone's "Spaghetti Western")
...aka Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The (1967) (USA)
...aka Good, the Ugly, the Bad, The (1967) (USA: literal English title)
Twelve Monkeys (1995)
Trainspotting (1996)
Léon (1994) (and all Luc Besson's movies expecially "the 5th Element)
...aka Cleaner, The (1994)
...aka Professional, The (1994) (USA)
Acción mutante (1993)
...aka Action mutante (1993)
Kika (1993) (and all Pedro Almodóvar movies)

and many others ...
something movies not viewed yet but in the check list:
Memento
clockwork orange
Lord of the Rings
The Big Leboski
Fight club
...and many many others

cf25: I meant that's what I think of the actor, the "man," the person. I'm sure his remake sucked too, although his last 2 movies are supposed to be pretty good.

Back