zip file won't unzip; lost hard drive space

Buzzy

Registered
A friend sent over a file in .zip format for me to use in a document I'm working on. When I clicked on it it started unzipping. It continued on until about half way where it seemingly froze. After a minute or so I hit the cancel button (the little X beside the download thermometer). No response. I 'force quit' the finder, which restarted the finder but the frozen thermometer remained. I finally restarted the computer and all was OK except I now see that I lost that amount of free space on my hard drive equal to the amount that was unzipped (around 4 - 500MB).

Where has this space gone, and how can I reclaim it ?

BTW it turns out the .zip file is corrupt as another friend of mine tried on 2 computers and in his case they never even began to unzip.

I'm on a G5 using 10.4.11
He uses a first generation intel mac pro and a more current Imac running 10.5 I believe.

The fact that you have a G5 of some sort has nothing to do with anything. The fact that your friend has a first-generation Mac Pro also has nothing to do with anything. How did your friend sent .zip archive and what is its size?

The file is 933MB containing mastered audio files for an upcoming album, and was downloaded via email (you send it).

To clarify further, this file was posted by the mastering engineer and downloaded by both me & my friend (studio partner) with the results as mentioned in the previous post.

This is very useful information. The file is nearly 1 GB in size. It exceeds the limits set by many if not most email providers. To get around these limits, many people who need to send large files post them on an FTP server or a commercial site like MediaFire.com or Box.net. A link is emailed to the people with whom the file is to be shared. Another option is to send the file as a torrent. Sharing massive files of this sort is one of the legitimate uses of torrents.

Make no mistake. I cannot say that the file size is the problem in your case. However, I would not expect success in emailing a 1 GB file.

Back