Zoom Modem with Intel iMac

Aarky

Registered
My old iMac DV died, and I replaced it with a 20-inch Intel iMac. Wonderful machine, but it doesn't have a modem. I need to send faxes, so I dusted off my Zoom K56 Flex fax modem. This device has a 25-pin RS-232 serial connector, so I bought a USB-to-Serial converter ($7.50 on eBay). Unfortunately, the iMac doesn't recognize the fax modem. Any help in configuring would be appreciated.

Here are technical details for those that are interested.

System Profiler reports a Vendor-Specific USB device with the following properties:
Version: 2.00
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Product ID: 0x5523
Vendor ID: 0x4348

System Preferences : Print & Fax : Set Up Fax Modem
brings up the Fax List window but there are no fax devices listed.

Print: Fax PDF
brings up a dialog box stating "No Fax Selected", and there are no faxes to select from.

The modem has many lights on the front. The green MR (modem ready?) light is on, as are the red TR (terminal ready?) and CS (?) lights. If I remember correctly, this indicates that the modem is connected to the computer and ready for operation. During operation, the OH (off hook), CD (carrier detect), and FAX (fax mode) lights will come on, and the RD (read data) and TD (transmit data) lights will flicker. We are not getting this far, as no data is being sent to the (as yet unrecognized) modem.

The modem worked great for many years with my Centris; I retired it when I got the iMac with a built-in modem. All I need is the fax capability, as my Internet connection is by cable. I was hoping to save the $50 cost of the Apple USB modem.

Unlikely you'll ever get that modem to work with your machine.

I would spend the $50.00 and be done with it.

Sounds like a challenge, bobw ...

... seriously, if this were a business I'd buy the modem, but now my curiosity is piqued. From what little I know about Unix, it extensively uses configuration files to specify system operation. I'm guessing there is a configuration file (let's call it .usbconfig) that associates the USB product ID with the type of device it is and the driver. If this is true, I could edit the .usbconfig file to indicate that product ID 0x5523 is a modem and to use the appropriate Zoom modem script from the Library.

Are there any Unix experts on this forum that could tell me if I'm on the right track? If so, would someone know the actual name and location of the hypothetical .usbconfig file?

I have a similar issue. I have a USR Professional Message Modem which holds messages in its own RAM when the PC (now Mac) is switched off but can transfer them for processing later.

I connect it via a Serial/USB adapter. The internet dial-up works fine. Fax works if I use Fax Center software. However, I can't get the Mac to recognise the modem itself within its built-in fax system to send without using Fax Center software. After setting up a modem from the fax setup dialogues, when I press send it just stalls and holds the document in the print/fax queue.

US Robotics say it's the adapter cable and they don't support the modem with a Mac. Clearly the modem does work with the Mac but some part of the interface to the inbuilt fax system is missing/incorrect.

Did anyone ever look into writing or identifying how to write teh appropriaet link?

Sadly, I got no useful replies from this or other forums where I posted my question. The research I've done leads me to believe the following:

* OS X provides the low level interface to all USB devices. It provides a means of accessing the adapter cable by a device driver. This does work, as System Profiler shows the adapter cable is present.
* A device driver must be written that recognizes the adapter cable and binds it to application code, such as a modem driver. This should be a simple task for someone familiar with OS X that has the appropriate software development tools. Unfortunately, that is not me. I say it should be simple because fax modem code already exists in OS X -- this new driver must only recognize the USB identifier of the adapter cable as a modem and invoke existing code.

Apple does provide useful information on how to write USB drivers. However, much of it presumes that you are a software developer with the background knowledge and appropriate tools to do the job.

Back