10.1.5:Rage LT ?

macosXrumors

Registered
Anybody tried OS X 10.1.5 on original iMac ? I could try it on a PowerBook G3 with Rage Pro but not on Macs usng the ATI Rage LT with 2Mb of VRAM, like the iMac rev A. Some people are asking me about that.

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
Can OS X actually RUN (not just start up, but actually do daily tasks and such) on a 233 MHz G3?!?!
Apparently so, although I haven't dared try it on my rev b iMac (233MHz). And that's a Mac that Apple list on their site as being supported.

I'm running it on a 400mhz G3 (B/W Rev1) here.. and it runs like a dream.. even after i pulled out 128 mb. ram .. running on 256 mb. now!.. (i finally figured out where all of those trap messages were coming from:D )

Hello,

My Mother has a iMac 266 with rage Pro and i installed 10.1.5 and its unbelievble faster... its no G4 but its fast for a old Mac :)
1.....Windows drawing is fast
2.....AniAliasing works :)

G r e a t J o B A P P L E ! ! !

BytheWay she has 192 MB memory

I used for a long time on a PowerBook G3 @ 233Mhz, and it runs better than you think, the only problem I had was quicktime playback which was slow because of the non-support of ATI Rage Pro card. It seems it's now fixed so it's really usable on a PowerBook G3, yes @ 233Mhz.

My question was if first iMac users (rev A) with te old ATI Rage LT with 2Mb card will have the same improvement or if this card is excluded from this update.

Yo! Typing on 233 MHz iMac right now. It's perfectly usable. Sure, the Finder is slow, and heaven forbid I do any heavy graphics stuff. But for word-processing, email and web browsing it's perfectly fine.

I did through in an additional 4 MB VRAM, though, so I'm up to 6. That might have made a difference, but I don't know. I'm not about to yank out the extra VRAM to test it out. ;)

I can't wait to get a new PM, though. :D

Oh yes--QT playback blows.

Nope! Nada, zip, zero, zilch. :D

If there is some improvement, I'm not noticing it, or I'm not doing the correct task to see it. It's entirely possible that there was some change.

Well, as a proud owner many years ago of a 233 beige G3 when they first came out, I struggled with OS9, which still crashes my Mac for some reasons. However, I have been using OS X quite happily since the day it came out, and this has stopped my scrapping the computer.

Apart from slow window re-sizing, I have been very pleasantly surprised what a good job it was doing (especially adding RAM to 384 Mb).

However, just put in a G4 Zif at 466, and that more than doubles the speed. Still, for web browsing, emailing etc the Beige G3 did run OS X up to 10.1.4 with no real problems.
Now, if they would only release the G5.......

Andrew

G5, yes indeed.

I would very much love to skip the G4s altogether, and jump directly from G3 to G5. It's been nearly four years, after all. I'm holding out about 1% hope that the G5 will come out @ MWNY. If not, I'll most likely "settle" for a GHz+ G4.

Here's to hoping. :p

hope

1) naive people's way of defying reality

2) lies for the masses. goal: let the leaders live through hard times.

3) the opposite of 'facts'.

Wow, fryke, that's pretty harsh. Okay, so if I have 1% hope, does that mean only 1% of that applies here?

So if I hope for world peace, does that fit into your schema? ;) :p

I am on the following-

iMac RevB/233
6 MB vram
256 MB Ram
Upgraded 7200 RPM 10 GB drive

Until 10.1.5 I never used MacOS X on this machine. I always attempted and went back to 9 eventually. I used 10 on my G4 and left my iMac virtually alone since I rather preferred being in 10. Since updating I am back to sitting in my front room and watching the beautiful view from my high rise in Chicago. No more sitting in the dark room to use 10 (My imac was more fashionable in my front room) It's been a year now since I have sat in here to use the computer.

Is it fast? Oh you betcha. I've tested everything for which I use this machine. Of course this machine is for surfing the net, email, chatting, and some storing photos and such. I usually never have more than 3 applications open. I have the major stuff for the G4. Two features that totally zoom now are window scrolling (great for IE or Omniweb) and minimizing and maximizing my windows.

If you are going to use MacOS 10, I highly recommend a minimum of 256 on this machine. I was using 160 MBytes and it was faster but eventually started paging out so yesterday I ran out and bought an addition 128 MByte So-Dimm and have not noticed a slowdown in the last day since upgrading my RAM. If you have not compressed your window buffer, I suggest doing so in order to conserve RAM... does anyone have any technical data on window buffer compression?

I've been trying to work this puppy and only find that playing Mp3's or using Quicktime 6 can bring it to the snag-jitter days of MacOS 10.0.0. Word is nice too, it doesn't pause as much as it used to in the past, only when I mispell a word.

I had X on my beige G3 (upgraded to 433 MHz G3) and it was horrendous. Granted, I only have the stock 2MB vram, and I plan on adding a Radeon 7000 eventually, but it really was just LACKING. Using Classic especially. But it sounds like 10.1.5 is promising ... I can't believe Apple released support for Rage Pro after saying it couldn't be done ... granted its still lacking 3D support, but 2D and QT acceleration are definitely good. Here's hoping that 10.2 will bring FULL support of the Rage Pro chip to our older Macs. I think i'm still going to wait to install X on this thing again until 10.2. Not too much longer to wait, and I'd rather do a freshy install of it anyway.

Back