RonaldMacDonald

Registered
I updated to 10.3.7 and suddenly found MAIL running slow, both sending and receiving mail. I reinstalled 10.3 Panther and it solved the problem. I updated to 10.3.7 again and the problem started again. I called Apple and they told me to reinstall 10.3 again and not to upgrade. It did so and MAIL is working fine again. They said they had a lot of problem calls about printers not working. Beware of 10.3.7!

VLC 0.8.1 just stopped working! Even on files it worked great with before. I downloaded again, reinstalled and, it still doesn't work, In fact all I get in the menu bar is the VLC heading and nothing else. Weird.
Does anyone know if this is a 10.3.7 problem or something else?
Thanks.

It's amazing to me how apple can put out an update and just shrug its shoulders when problems crop up. ReInstall 10.3?! What kind of solution is that?! :(

Natobasso said:
It's amazing to me how apple can put out an update and just shrug its shoulders when problems crop up. ReInstall 10.3?! What kind of solution is that?! :(

I am located in Japan and when I have problems, I call AppleJapan. I was nice enough to call them back and confirm that after going through this twice that it was indeed 10.3.7 that was slowing down MAIL. I didn't get the impression that they were that concerned. I realize the person I spoke to was just in tech support but I would have thought they would take more interest in matters that meant that they might be getting a flood of calls from unhappy people. They seemed more preoccupied with incompatibilities with printers. They kept trying to get me to remove all my USB stuff. I suspect that is where 10.3.7 is casuing problems. But who can live without a printer being attached to a computer? What a BIG problem that must be!

Needless to say, I have set preferences for software update to manual mode.

Hmm, I don't have a printer. :p

It's not a USB issue, though. Specifically, when a program calls the method [NSHost currentHost] in their code is when this crops up. It seems to effect people with routers rather than direct connections, and not everyone with a router is effected.

ranasta said:
VLC 0.8.1 just stopped working! Even on files it worked great with before. I downloaded again, reinstalled and, it still doesn't work, In fact all I get in the menu bar is the VLC heading and nothing else. Weird.
Does anyone know if this is a 10.3.7 problem or something else?
Thanks.

Nope. Ive got 10.3.7 and VLC works fine.

to me, i can connect to my network printer via windows sharing. on 10.3.6, i had to go to advance menu to setup the printer. and vlc works fine.

10.3.7 runs perfectly for me as every other past update has. this is because I keep a tight ship when it comes to my computer.

too many people use too many haxies and clog their systems with junk and then wonder why they have problems.

blue&whiteman said:
too many people use too many haxies and clog their systems with junk and then wonder why they have problems.

I use just about every haxie available for OS X and my system runs fine.

So don't knock the haxies (and I won't knock the mods... ;))

NatoBasso: They shrug because problems are 'normal', whether it's with 10.2.4 or 10.3.2 or 10.3.7. And the latter has been quite a good update for Apple. (See http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48193 here for our own forum's poll...) So I guess it's about 1 in a thousand who has got some problem specifically with this update that is not a combination with some haxie or something.
It's important, however, to give Apple feedback about real bugs. 10.3.8 is already in development, and I'm sure they're trying to solve the things that are still going wrong...

The last version of Fruitmenu is 3.2.1 (12/23/03). Still works fine for me in 10.3.7.

andychrist said:
I use just about every haxie available for OS X and my system runs fine.

So don't knock the haxies (and I won't knock the mods... ;))

what is there to knock about the mod I did exactly? everyone loved it and its not the kind of thing that has any effect on system performance/stability.

about the haxies.. you must use a good combination that runs well together. I do use 1 haxie though. its theme changer with the smooth stripes square theme.

Hey B&W, note the winkie on my post. I do love your mod!, just as I adore the countless haxies I have installed on my old BondiMac with almost reckless abandon. Yet even indiscriminate as I have been, still such disparate partners as ShapeShifter, CandyBar, and Safaricon all play nicely together, as do my myriad of menu extras and various other little system haxies.

So I am always skeptical of blame for screwy system performance being attributed to these brilliant tools that have so improved my own experience in OS X.

BTW SmoothStripes (Gloss) was the first theme I ever applied with ShapeShifter.

Friends?

CandyBar isn't really a haxie, it just replaces the icon files that are used with the ones you specify. That's why you have to restart the Finder/Dock or logout/login for the changes to take effect.

You could do the same thing yourself by hand; CandyBar just makes it easier.

Back