10.3 - automatic airport connect on on/wake

fbp_

captain obvious
I cant seem to get 10.3 to automatically connect to my wireless network

I have the network prefs set to connect to my specific network, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

any ideas?

where are the files that have network prefpane info? I upgraded so trashing them and letting native 10.3 ones be generated might help

what do you mean with automatically connect to your wireless network?
You mean, after you open the lid of your pbook, you get no airport signal?
What access point or router do you have?
I had a similar problem (if I got it right) and it was a bug on my router. A firmware update solved it.

I'm seeing some weird problems with networking in Panther too ... haven't narrowed it down completely, but I use both Airport and the built-in ethernet, switch back and forth, when it's on my desk the airport signal is pretty weak, so I go wired. Ever since I "upgraded" to Panther, the automatic-ness of switching my network connection (seemless in Jaguar) has been almost non-existent. I usually have to reboot to get my network access back. I was hoping they'd fix it in the first update to Panther, but this is the first I've seen anyone else mentioning it in posts. I do also put my powerbook to sleep quite a bit, and that might be a link to the onset of the problem.

my router a dlink and it works fine and is running the latest firmware. I still have a signal from it, its just that when I wake my powerbook it isnt connected. the network is there on the list to choose from, panther just seems unable to connect by itself

Im running with just airport, in fact I think I disabled my ethernet port. all I have to do is select my network from the drop down menu on the aiport icon, but its still a pain for something that worked seamlessly in 10.2, I dont get it

Ok, am a bit confused here.
You never lose your airport signal, don't you?
If you lose airport signal, it has nothing to do with the router, but if I got you right, you have signal, but just can't access the lan and the internet.
Well, I have the D-Link 614+ and since it is a router and an accesspoint, I fixed my probs (getting no airport signal after wake up) by the firmware update.
Btw, you didn't tell how you fix it when you can't connect. Reboot your pbook or restart your router?

For what it's worth, the problem I have, is that the network appears to be "fine" - meaning I have an IP address, looking at the network item in preferences shows it's got green little "light" that it's working, but no access to the internet. I can switch to static instead of dhcp and back and still no access to net. Other machines on same physical network segment work fine, never had this problem before Panther, reboot fixes it, but who wants to reboot everytime you go back to recharge your battery?

Marz, your issue seems to be connected to panther. If a reboot fixes the problem, it has definitely nothing to do with the router/switch/accesspoint.
But I am not sure, if it's the same situation for fbp_

I have been having the same problem. I have airport signal and IP address but no internet. This problem is only on my 12" aluminum powerbook since updating to panther. My Pismo works fine. I can't seem to nail down the trigger that causes it. Waking from sleep, burning a disk both seem to cause it. It's driving me crazy.

I have been trying to resolve the same problem with my two week old powerbook. Same issue even with the Wep pswrd off the antenna strengh shows strong, I can get outside sometimes after a reset but pages begin loading slower and then it stops altogether.
OS X 10.3.1
Ericsson cable modem linsys BEFW11S v.2 with latest firmware. (11b)
G3 wallstreet, Ti PB 1Ghz and a sonyvio run non stop but this new model combined with the white spots came to market too soon.
Was having better luck running off of a FW drive with 10.2.8 but still not reliable. There are many posts re this on the apple discussions site.

Back