10.5.6 Server OD for centralized authentication

jonbrown

Registered
Hello all,
I am new to these forums but I have what may very well be a simple to extreemly complex question. I have set up my OSX Server it runs great got Mail, MySQL, OD (Master), Firewall, iCal Server, AFP, SMB, Web (for webmail) they are all running fine and everything is great.

Now at the organization that Im working for they want to implement the use of a single password system so 1 password for computer logins, email, & filesharing all to be reset every 3 months. I know you can do this with OD but heres the question.

Right now I can

1. Bind my computer to the server flawlessly.
2. Get the other login field at login prompt
3. I can login as long as I have specified a home folder on the server If i have not specified that the window shakes and I cant get in.
4. What they want is not to use the home folder on the server but rather to use the local home folder on each users account that they are using now but with the benefits of a single sign-on through the server.

I am not sure if this is even possible but I am out of ideas thanks for your help!

-- Jon

Each user has a lot of files stored locally, I have not been able to figure out any way to use a mobile account without having to move all of their files to the desktop.

We really dont want to have users able to login from any bound computer just theirs, as well we dont really want to kill our servers with the actual hosting of their data / home folders.

Simply we just want to bind the computer to the server but have the client use their server OD password to login to their local account.

If u have ideas on how the mobile account could work similarly then please let me know...

Sounds like you just want to specify /Users as your home folder location. That will look locally to the client for the home folder location. Just remember, the user account that has been created on the machine may not have the same UID as the one you create on the server! (ie - check your permissions!) ;)

Just specify "Full Path" as /Users and you should be creating local home folders.

Michael

Back