10.5?

fryke said:
Hasn't this already been done with WINE on linux? So no, it doesn't need much support from Microsoft imho.
I forgot all about Wine. I've never used it myself. Is its compatibility good enough?

And has anyone tried the OS X version, Darwine, on an Intel Mac?

If Apple could manage something like Wine (maybe even based on Wine) that really worked well, that would be awesome. There'd be no need to buy and install Windows at all, so it would actually be a big step above Classic. It would probably also seriously tick off MS, though. If Apple sticks with BootCamp or uses some kind of virtualization, then they'd be Microsoft's bestest friend, since they'd be effectively selling copies of Windows. But Wine aims to replace Windows more than anything else!

apple is more likely to go with bootcamp/vpc way right now with ms, to make ms happy, and to keep win support low. but i see in the future-after the mac hardware has a much, much bigger share of the market, and apple has some better office like apps ready-apple going to a wine like thing just to spite ms, because it wouldn't hurt apple to lose macdu support at that point.

Mikuro said:
I forgot all about Wine. I've never used it myself. Is its compatibility good enough?

And has anyone tried the OS X version, Darwine, on an Intel Mac?

If Apple could manage something like Wine (maybe even based on Wine) that really worked well, that would be awesome. There'd be no need to buy and install Windows at all, so it would actually be a big step above Classic. It would probably also seriously tick off MS, though. If Apple sticks with BootCamp or uses some kind of virtualization, then they'd be Microsoft's bestest friend, since they'd be effectively selling copies of Windows. But Wine aims to replace Windows more than anything else!

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Darwine_Apps

It's working, but it's a bit of a challenge in some cases

whitesaint said:
-10.5 coming out in late 2006-early 2007
-will not come with windows
-will be optimized for intel
-updates to existing programs and new programs
-windows xp will not be in the dock or virtualized
-taking more advantage of core image, duo
-more things to make the developers even happier
-128MB graphics card will be more than enough to run leopard
-more personality, elegance, attractiveness, advanced
-most important of all, new mixtures of existent or new technologies to do new things

OS X doesn't neet to take more advantage of the Core Duo. They rewrote their vector acceleration routines to use SSE, so that work is already done. The only 'feature' they have yet to exploit is virtualization. And I would wager that a lot of the intel optimization took place along-side the PPC optimization over the past 4-5 years.

They aren't likely to do more things to make the Devs even happier either. They said to devs that 10.4 was going to stabilize the API quite a bit more, so that devs could be free to write against 10.4 and not worry about 10.5 making their work redundant, or break their apps. Now... if these changes are in the dev tools themselves, great, bring em on. :)

Back