?!!!

Questions:

1. What is an afp server?
2. Where/how can I find more servers like this one?
3. Who, or what, is woz?

Is this legal? Cause it sure is cool! :)

14 * ix-pa1.kddnet.ad.jp (203.181.104.53) 203.392 ms 221.93 ms
15 bb1-g1-0.pxpaca.sbcglobal.net (198.32.176.112) 199.657 ms 202.867 ms 195.949 ms
16 bb2-p9-0.sntc01.pbi.net (64.161.1.21) 235.112 ms 162.431 ms 162.843 ms
17 63.203.51.7 (63.203.51.7) 170.497 ms * 280.355 ms
18 unuson.cust-rtr.pacbell.net (206.13.16.194) 266.659 ms 255.952 ms 209.148 ms
19 steve.woz.org (209.76.144.10) 189.019 ms 180.904 ms 190.072 ms

nslookup returns

steve.woz.org preference = 10, mail exchanger = steve.woz.org
woz.org nameserver = woz.org
woz.org nameserver = ns1.pbi.net
Steve.woz.org internet address = 209.76.144.10
woz.org internet address = 209.76.144.2
ns1.pbi.net internet address = 206.13.28.11

steve.woz.org preference = 10, mail exchanger = steve.woz.org

Authoritative answers can be found from:
woz.org nameserver = NS1.PBI.NET
woz.org nameserver = woz.org
steve.woz.org internet address = 209.76.144.10
NS1.PBI.NET internet address = 206.13.28.11
woz.org internet address = 209.76.144.2

however ironically websharing is password protected.

cool software spread on that disk...

I guess he knows what he is doing...

:rolleyes:

Apparently, when you are running your machine on the net....and read-only access for guests is available....

you can access the machine this way....

afp://devlin.ai-media.co.jp
in the mozilla url window.....
you can access a drop box....

until 2 minutes ago, you would have been able to see the contents of my Public folder....

but I fixed that... just some random things from the net...

so, the caution here is don't fileshare while you have globally readable/writable directories available *and* allow the machine to be exposed as an available ip on the network.

most of you with ppp and pppOe connections shouldn't have to worry too much to worry about, except that it is possible to scan the network for port 543 (if I remember correctly) for active apple servers....

guest access *is* enabled by default to the Public folder in each user directory.

you have to get info to disable or modify it.

In mac OS 9 and below, the sharing Control panel and Users and Groups allows a one-click setting to disable gurest access.
<b>
The message here is don't keep private items in the Public folder!!!!
</b>

How on earth do u get your entire hard disk to be shareable!
I've been trying to figure that out for soooooo long!
Someobyd please tell me how to share your hardisk with 4 other computers.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Vash137
How on earth do u get your entire hard disk to be shareable!
I've been trying to figure that out for soooooo long!
Someobyd please tell me how to share your hardisk with 4 other computers.

???
Under which crcumstances?? :confused:
Anyway,
not impossible, but you wouldn't want to make everything readable and writable globally. not on the startup disk anyway....

in OS 9 and a local only network it s a trivial set-up. just enable guest access and give guests the priveleges you want to . AFAIK only the fonts and the system suitcase may not be modified or in some cases copied, in a running system.

for OSX, you could easily share any or all user folders by using netinfo to create a group which you then assign all of the (or one particular) member name and access password.
then change the group ownerid of all the folders(and files) which you want to share to that group. Then check the Finder info privileges to see that what you have set is true, or adjust accordingly.

That is more desirable than say, giving out a password which has adminstrator access...
remember... if you start changing id/gid and permissions of system controlled directories and files, you are asking for and will get ---trouble.
A secondary volume or partition just give guest access in the get info panel... the system is not controlling much there.

for example, classic may refuse to start, sendmail will certainly refuse to start...

if you just make the volumes accessable, other OSX machines have the option to "ignore permissions on this volume"

and, if you set the ability to send apple events from remote machines, remote users may, with the correct permissions...., control your machine.

So rather than give you a step-by-step-for-dummies style explanation it would be better to explore the tools which are available and make your own informed decisions regarding the security and operability of your system versus your real-world needs and requirements.
--------------------------
:eek:"<b>thinking different</b> is only the first step in thinking for yourself"
--------------------------
I forgot...

the afpovertcp is 548 not 543 which is used for Kerberos Login....

see /etc/services

looking for "apple" and "afp" for a complet list.

Jeez, of COURSE I know who Woz is.

I just don't think he is dumb enough to open that kind of access to us. Yes, woz.org is his domain, but enterprising sould mey have gotten around that.

I told him to come by and check out this thread.

On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 12:33 PM, Steve Wozniak wrote:

At 1:23 AM +0900 2001.12.02, Jimr wrote:
<b>
afp://steve.woz.org is totally public available to guest....

but I guess you know...
</b>
I set it up that way. Software that requires serial numbers is available there, with only a couple of minor exceptions. That server has a music server (MP3's) which is not shared except with my family. Thanks for your note and concern.
--

Steve Wozniak (OK, a new size TV)

email &lt;StevePGPkey@woz.org&gt; for my public PGP encryption key

Back