15" PowerBook can't read "iomega 100Gb portable hard drive"

room 10

Registered
Hi,

My housemate owns an iOmega 100Gb portable hard drive.

He's used it on numerous computers (all mac) with no problems but my 15" PowerBook can't read it.

Any ideas would be greatly helpful as i was planning on buying one of these sleek things!

More info:
-his hard drive is definitely working
-my USB sockets are working and believe them to be 2.0

Thanks,

Rob

--

Hi there,

It for sure a power issue with the portable USB/HDD's I had the same problem with my Lacie HDD and I got an external USB cable with power to push extra power to it from other USB of the PB.. does the 100GB HDD have an extra power inpput to it... actually these puppys need more power around 580ma and Apple 15" single power USB cable feeds only 500ma or something of that sought (I read on this forum) BTW it works fine on the desktops with one USB cable...Hope this helps..

Good Luck

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't believe that to be the case as the owner of the portable hard drive has a 12" PowerBook, which has always worked without a hint of trouble.

Granted it has an input for external power but it wasn't even supplied with a power cable and has never been an issue.

Any further help would be brilliant!

Thanks,

Rob

--

I have the same issue too with a 80GB LaCie. Works on my 12" but not the 15". I'm gonna buy a USB powercord during the weekend and will let you know the results.

Back