2 External Firewire HD

anthonyw

Registered
Hi, I have two external firewire HD's connected to my Dual 2.3 G5. I have tried both connecting each HD to their own firewire port on the G5 and also only connecting one and then daisy chaining the other one into the one that is connected.

Anyway, what is happening is that @ boot up only one will mount no matter what configuration I have chosen from the mentioned above. I will go into disk utility and the one that isn't mounting will show up but the text for it won't be as dark as the text from the HD that is mounted. So when I disconnect the firewire cable from the one that isn't mounting and I reconnect it then it mounts. Is there a solution for this so that both will just mount normally on boot?

Weird. Do either have USB2 connections as well, in which case try connecting one via fw and one via usb.

Also, if you have any other fw devices try connecting that and one of them at boot, maybe your firewire card has some sort of gremlin.

I agree with ora. That's weird. Leslye's Mac has two FW HDs and
an FW scanner daisychained. All the time. No problem. I've daisy-
chained a pair of FW HDs from time to time. No problem.

And no, I've no idea.

I have also run into this problem before, but it was on a G4 Mini.
If I daisy chained my 4 firewire HD's together I could see all 4, until I rebooted. Upon reboot, I could only see the first HD in the chain.

I tried the daisy chain on my MDD and could see all 4 after reboot.

Never figured out what the problem was.

Back