2 Partitions... one for OSX and other for OS9

clemare

Registered
Question...

I successfuly installed MacOSX in one partition... the other have Yellow Dog Linux... I want to erase the second partition and install MacOS9. I can't find any documentation about that configuration... it is possible?

PS: probably the answer is pretty obvious, but I am a newbe in Macintosh Plataform....

Thanks.

Unless something has changed since the last time I tried doing that, I think you'll have to reformat and repartition the whole HDD in order to reclaim that YDL partition. So then you could either make two partitions, install OS 9 on one and OS X on the other, or just install both 9 and X on one partition.

I could be wrong about the need to reformat the drive, though (although I don't think I am).

You mean have OS 9 on one partition and OS X on the other partition? No problems at all -- I ran my system that way for many months without a problem. I recently upgraded hard drives, and now have OS X on one hard drive (master) and OS 9 on the other (slave), PLUS two other data hard drives.

You can install in just about any kind of configuration you want -- all on the same disk, all on the same partition, on different partitions, on different disks, one on the internal disk and one on a FireWire disk, etc. etc. etc...

I got two Partition Tables and a Microphone!

Well, this is my official wasted post of the week! :D

Originally posted by clemare
I successfuly installed MacOSX in one partition... the other have Yellow Dog Linux... I want to erase the second partition and install MacOS9. I can't find any documentation about that configuration... it is possible?
No. There's no way to wipe out that linux partition and make it either HFS or HFS+ without reformatting.

A while ago I had OS 9 on one partition, and LinuxPPC on another partition. LinuxPPC' s pdisk (is that correct?) utility was SUPPOSED to allow me to reclaim that partition for HFS (I think), but it never worked properly (I would only have about 90 MB out of a 1 GB partition available). However, I was able to claim that limited space.

I finally gave up and reformatted the whole thing. That taught me a hard lesson about putting multiple OSes (other than Mac) on the same hard disk.

With OS X.. you can have many installs of OS 9. In fact I have two different install right now, one clean install with minimal components on my OS X Drive, one installed on another hard drive that I use for experiments.

In System Preferences you can tell which OS 9 install you would like to use as Classic.

Startup Disk will scan you hard drives for OS's and will list your OS 9 installs from any of the partitions.

So to answer the question: Yes format that partition and boot up from the OS 9 disk and install.

IF you want OS X to use it for Classic make sure to boot in OS X and point to that partition under Classic pane otherwise OS X may not know it was installed yet.

Originally posted by homer
A while ago I had OS 9 on one partition, and LinuxPPC on another partition. LinuxPPC' s pdisk (is that correct?) utility was SUPPOSED to allow me to reclaim that partition for HFS (I think), but it never worked properly (I would only have about 90 MB out of a 1 GB partition available). However, I was able to claim that limited space.
I tried the same thing, no go.

Originally posted by level9

No. There's no way to wipe out that linux partition and make it either HFS or HFS+ without reformatting.

I think if you fiddle around you can get it done. Probably the important thing is to put a Mac file system on the linux partition. I'd first try running Disk Utility to see if I could erase that partition to HFS Extended format--if so, you should be on your way. Then use Disk Utility to Mount the partition and you can look at it. Then fire up a Mac OS 9 install CD and install away.

If Disk Utility won't erase that partition, boot from an OS X CD in single-user mode (hold down cmd-S) and run pdisk. Careful! I just combined two partitions on my TiBook using pdisk this way to delete them both, then create the new larger partition, then newfs to wipe the old file system off it, then Disk Utility to erase to HFS and did my test install. Worked fine.

That was really my point, there's no *safe* way of changing that partition without affecting the other. There "might be a way" yes, but as of now, there is no "set" way of doing it. In other words, if there is anything important on the partition that's to be left alone, I would't try it (short of backing up, that is). When I used pdisk to try it, I didn't care what was on that other partition. It was an external that was just for linux, and the other partition was just a bare bones OS9 install.

Originally posted by mcasteel

Then fire up a Mac OS 9 install CD and install away.

LOL. That reminds me of ol' George W. "firing up a pretzel", with its consequences. . . . ;) :p

Back