2006 MacWorld Expo BOLD Prediction

georgelien

Registered
Even though I just recently bought myself a HR PowerBook G4, I expect a brand new PowerBook with Intel dual-core mobile processor best known as Yonah.

Brand new iBook and Mac mini with Intel single-core Yonah will be released shortly after.

And a new black iPod shuffle.

I predict iBook first, then PowerBook later.

Mac mini will be DVR like.

iLife 06, iWork 06.

Leopard preview.

:D

My opinion is on new PB line with intel processors. PB has to get caught up in speed. The gap between portables and desktops, ghz wise huge.

Didn't I hear that they were planning to make a mobile G5? If so, that would probably come out before Intel laptops.

That really isn't that bold. Its already official that Intel are officially launching Yonah the day before the keynote, and its pretty safe to say it will turn up in at least one new product. The most likely contender is the Mac mini, with the PowerBook and iBook also distinct possibilities.

The best info I have though says there will not be a mobile G5.

I'm just hoping that there is something really out of left field and unexpected. I think there are a few things we could reasonably expect: new versions of iLife and/or iWork, some neat updates to existing lines, a sneak preview of MacOSX 10.5, and a lot of chatter about iTunes, iPod and Aperture. All of these would be quite satisfying, though I'd only consider the keynote a hit if we see at least one really unexpected thing that has half the people here moaning about how ugly or stupid it is (before they even see it properly), and the other half jumping for joy and watching attentively for the first of the items to ship.

In the spirit of making a bold prediction though, here is my one:
The Mac mini will be retired and replaced with another entry-level Mac with media centre functionality. It will be physically larger than the mini, will have more capabilities for inputting and outputting audio-visuals than any Mac so far, will have a Front Row remote, and be somehow made at the same price point and RAM/HDD specs as the current mini. ... And the crowd will, of course, go wild.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Airport Express be reinvented. This has been a great product and customers are only now just starting to work out how good it is, so Apple will of course want to replace it right now with a better one. :)

Yes. After all the rumour-waves about intel-Macs in January (PowerBooks being among them in many rumours), it's not really that bold.

I'd love to see something along the lines of what symphonix suggested. A Quicktime/open standards based media centre is something I would buy.

Of course! Steve Jobs already said it will released new Mactel in early of 2006. Its bold news that Apple's new Intel-based laptop computers will be produced by Quanta and Asustek for ibook and Powerbook with all speces on it. It will be cool

Not bold either, MacFreak, it's been in the news and on rumour sites. Also: Both Quanta and Asustek have been making iBooks and PowerBooks for a while.

symphonix said:
That really isn't that bold. Its already official that Intel are officially launching Yonah the day before the keynote, and its pretty safe to say it will turn up in at least one new product. The most likely contender is the Mac mini, with the PowerBook and iBook also distinct possibilities.

fryke said:
Yes. After all the rumour-waves about intel-Macs in January (PowerBooks being among them in many rumours), it's not really that bold.

It's BOLD . . .
because I said so.

:p Kidding.

It's "BOLD" because the first wave of rumors were about the possible new Mac minis and new iBooks. Then the rumor of the new possible PowerBooks emerged.

This prediction is "BOLD" because I not only predict three new product lines but I also stated the type of processors used in these machines.

To "boldly" predict something would mean to predict it in a way that no-one had predicted it before and it would also mean that your prediction would assume that everyone would stop in awe, probably disagree etc. However, that's just not the case here, because both the product lines as well as the processor have been talked about already. And both in other places as well as here. In threads not too old...

fryke, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? :) To admit that, would be very bold of you. :)

I guess so. *grmph*... ;) Am I bold now? ... Hm. Yeah, this hasn't been my best day. Guess it shows. But I'm still right. Just not that polite. ;)

fryke said:
I guess so. *grmph*... ;) Am I bold now? ... Hm. Yeah, this hasn't been my best day. Guess it shows. But I'm still right. Just not that polite. ;)

It _must_ be a bad day. I haven't seen you use your trademark _underscores_ since you posted today. ;)

I predict:

We will have TWO keynotes !

1) One for the fantastic iPod results and the new iPods of the quarter (when will iPod models be as numerous as Swatch watch models ?)
2) One for the new Intel Macs (including Mac mini or the new Multimedia Mac solution, maybe even better integrated with the iPod of the first presentation).

Or ?

Or ?

You all have seen that Apple has a contract for huge quantities of Flash memory... so why not make a solid state Mac nano ??? This would allow Apple to sell an expensive minimal PC ! And as Apple controls the Flash memory supply... nobody else can take significant market shares !

2006:
iPod Shuffle White/Black
iPod 5G 80G 160G

Widescreen iBook G4 13' 15'
Mini iBook G4 10' 12'
Mac Mini G5 with Front Row

iLife 06
iWork 06 [Pages, Keynote, Numbers]
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5
2007:
iPod 6G
iPod Nano 2G 4G 6G