4th Generation iPod COMMING SOON!

Quicksilver

Find a golden apple.
This sounds really cool. I wonder if a camera will be included.

While sources could not pin-point a specific day or month of introduction, they said the soon to be released player would boast a 50GB hard disk capable of holding 12,500 songs and carry an approximate cost of $499.

Unlike the recent capacity-centric revisions to the iPod line, the 4th-generation iPod will host a number of architectural advancements and new features. Most apparent, sources say, is the presence of a 2-inch color screen for displaying photos stored on the pod, from the palm of your hand.

The player will reportedly also adopt a video output jack that will allow users to connect their iPods to television sets, sources said. Meanwhile, no mention was made in regards to an output jack capable of relaying audio to a home entertainment center.

AppleInsider ---->

the 4th generation ipods are out (10, 20, 40 G). they must be meaning the 5th gen?

please quote some of the text in the article, rather than just linking to a rumor forum. :)

We are on third generation. 1) scroll wheel 2) touch wheel 3) touch buttons 4) ?? Unless you count mini and 4. However i am waiting for a new one before i consider buying one.

it the latest models don't count as a 4rd, then the old 10 and 20 G models should be included in the 1st generation - they are apart the size, the same than the 5 G. so in that calculating way we'd be in the 2nd.

Not trying to start an argument, but the ones considered 2nd generation did in fact look the same as the 1st generation iPods. But the 2nd generation ones had a touch sensitive scroll wheel, where the 1st generation ones had a 'moving' scroll wheel. To me that is enough to classify a change in generations.

True they just updated the current line a few months back, but the only change they made to it was bumping up the size of the entry model. They didn't change anything about the iPod itself, so I'd still consider that a 3rd generation iPod.

Just my opinion though :)

Gotta agree with naodx here, Gia - and even Apple officially called the 3rd gen 3rd gen. First generation: 5 GB (and later 10 GB) with a 'real' wheel. Second generation: Touchpad wheel (10, 20 GB). Everything else was 3rd generation, the mini taken out of it.

The article shows a nice new iPod. Let's hope it's true.

Why don't we talk about the possibility of a new iPod other than which generations are which. I'd love to see a camera included in an iPod. 50GB would certainly give it enough umph to do that, it's way too large for just music certainly and if they're going to introduce a picture browser then an integral camera would make sense. I rekcon if apple keep the look and size but revise the product itself they could be on to yet another winner. $/£500 though... May need to remortgage.

No sense for a camera. Too many smartphones/pdas have them and the resolution isn't that great. Especially with the low prices on many megapeixel digital cameras these days. It'll probably work along the lines of the Belkin Media reader.
I wonder if the battery will be replaceable. A color screen will eat more energy, especially if using as any kind of media reader.

mobile phones' cams are coming in at 1 and 1.3 MP quality now, which is more than good enough for them. for web-use, for example, they're very, very useful. Nokia's upcoming 7610 for example will have a blogger application. Just think about it. :) Instant holiday photo albums! ;-)

Or more importantly: If you're reporting from MacWorld or WWDC, you can put the images live with comments without even opening your iBook or PowerBook...

More on 7610:

Nokia have announced their 7610 imaging device, the company's first megapixel camera phone. Encased in dual-tone ruby and onyx-colored covers, the slim Nokia 7610 phone offers capturing, printing, storing and sending of photo-quality images and videos on the Series 60 Platform. The tri-band model is planned to be available during the second quarter of 2004 in two variants, GSM 900/1800/1900 and GSM 850/1800/1900. It is expected to retail for approximately €500.

The phone includes print functionality, whereby pictures can be turned into prints in just a few seconds via a Bluetooth connection to a compatible printer or by using a printer kiosk available in Nokia-branded retail locations or other photo shops. Using the Kodak Pictures application on the phone, pictures can be uploaded to a virtual photo album on the web and shared online with others or ordered as prints via an online service. The Nokia 7610 phone offers a 65,000 color screen for viewing still images and video captured by the integrated camera and watching real-time video streaming using the built-in RealOne mobile player. The megapixel (1152 X 864) camera features a high-quality lens, 4x digital zoom, and a self-timer. The Nokia 7610 imaging device also allows users to capture images in low-light conditions.

Nokia 7610 users can create short films or even music videos of up to 10 minutes by shooting and editing the footage captured with their imaging device. By using the Movie Director application, users can turn video clips captured with their Nokia 7610 into personal movies by adding special effects such as music, text, new colors or moving objects. The application automatically combines multiple video clips into a single video vignette or optimizes the edited videos for MMS sending. The Nokia 7610 also includes the new Nokia Lifeblog application, which adds an automatic digital diary to the pockets of trendsetters. The phone application records and organizes digital content - such as images, videos or messages - creating a personal logbook or multimedia memo directly on the phone. When transferred to Nokia Lifeblog on the PC, people can browse and search their multimedia diary in an easy to use timeline or share diary items with friends or family via email.

The other key features of the Nokia 7610 include rich Multimedia Messaging, email, and MP3/AAC music player, Internet browser, 72MB of expandable memory, USB, Bluetooth connectivity and support for Java technology. The 118 gram, 93cc phone offers up to 3 hours talk-time and 250 hours of standby time.

http://nokia.com/nokia/0,,54665,00.html

Thx. :) Looks like one I'll actually buy... But back to the iPod. While the 'small' cameras get better and better, I still don't see the need for an iPod to have one directly. However: The colour screen could sure _show_ the photos from the iPhoto collection and your CF-card iPod adapter or whatever that was that Belkin showed with the 3rd gen iPod...

I'd love to have more a kind of newton with iPod in it. So basically to use it as a newton, but with OS X and with more modern specs than those from the '90s .. and which still could be used as an iPod. And be about that sized.

It sounds as if it's have a scroll wheel like the Mini, but I wonder about the functionality of a touchscreen. The whole screen could be used as a monitor, an iPod controlled... or dare I say it? ... to add pda-like functionality.

Yeah yeah the iPod Mini has been "coming soon" for a while now. No sign of it over here. Maybe they're still waiting for the Dollar to rise. I hope they have a comfortable seat...

MacMuppet said:
Yeah yeah the iPod Mini has been "coming soon" for a while now. No sign of it over here. Maybe they're still waiting for the Dollar to rise. I hope they have a comfortable seat...

in UK and rest of Europe iPod minis will be sold in April. Date yet unknown, price too.

I head rumors of iPod minis being out of stock in US already, but it must be store by store or just in NY or something. Here I can find them (unless they've been all sold after sunday).

Back