64 Bit Processor?

speXedy

Think Different
Do the intel imacs havce 64bit processors? I don't have one of the new new ones, but i got it like less then a year ago or something.

The first Intel CoreDuo processors are 32-bit. The newer Core2Duo are 64-bit. You can find out which yours is, for sure, by going to About This Mac under the Apple Menu. Your processor will be listed there.
Leopard will do both 32-bit and 64-bit.

With anything below a Mac Pro, I think it doesn't make real sense to go 64bit, anyway. The big step in 64bit computing is that you can address more memory. You know: The amount anything below the Mac Pro can't take, anyway. The 32bit limit is 4 GB. The iMac's limit is 4 GB. MacBook Pro: 3 GB. MacBook: 2 GB. With your 1.5 GB, you shouldn't really have to care about 32bit/64bit. Even better: It's seamless, anyway.

I was only wondering cuz i was debating to buy Vista for Bootcamp. and was wondering if i needed the 32bit or 64bit.

AFAIK only the 32bit version installs currently through Bootcamp, anyway.

fryke is correct.
BootCamp does not support installation of the 64-bit versions of Windows, only 32-bit.

Also do not use 64bit unless you really need it (if it was posiible to use it). There are quite a lot of problems with 64bit drivers for vista (or xp) 64bit.

Good luck, Kees

If you have 64-bit Mac, and plan to run other operating systems, the 64-bit versions are faster in it. No matter if it's XP, Vista, Ubuntu or something else and if you run it in Boot Camp or in virtualization software.
In Fusion for instance XP 64-bit is reported (by users) to be faster. It won't install if your processor does not support 64-bit though. If only Microsoft would have different licensing ways .. so one wouldn't need to know if he needs 32- or 64-bit version when he buys the software and the license.

Back