A little word about profanity

twyg

Back to Mac Baby!
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to address the use of profanity on the boards. I have noticed a slight increase in the use of profanity over the course of my volunteer status here. So...

Remember that these boards are to be considered "professional" and since in most offices, schools, religious institutions, etc. we don't hear a whole bunch of swearing I would ask that we bring it to a halt.

By all means, first amendment ho! Say what is on your mind, and express yourself! However, be considerate of those who would rather not come to a board full of cusses.

Many of you have noticed that your four letter cuss words have suddenly changed from duck to d**k overnight. This isn't some script that is run, that's me coming in and cleaning up...

So, I trust we can all be cool and stop with the swearing. ;)

P.S. I don't like to repeat myself. This isn't a joke.

censorship is un-american, if people dont want to see then they should just advert there eyes, what i have to say should'nt be bleeped. its my words they should'nt be changed because a minority of people dont apreciate it. freedom of speach.

I agree and will censor myself but ...

I do find it troubling that no one discusses the "WHERE CAN I PIRATE THIS ILLEGAL PIECE OF SOFTWARE" threads but profanity is taboo?? I find threads that talk about TRUE 'hacking' or how to circumvent copyright law to be just as un "professional" as people saying ahh sh**t.

As such, I am confused.

Well well well, another blind patriot... They're just poppin' outta the wood work lately... I'll table that for another discussion though.

so... satanic pop tart. What part of the agreement that you made wasn't clear enough for you? This is exactly what you saw when you came into the boards. (As did everyone for that matter.)

MacOSX.com Rules
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page. Note: By pressing the button you declare that you are over the age of 13. If you are 13 or under, please use this registration form.

Although the administrators and moderators of MacOSX.com will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of MacOSX.com or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of MacOSX.com have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Case closed. You all agreed to the rules. Don't like them? Then why did you join? And why do you come here? I don't like reading about a fix to a problem I have just to see about how "This F***ING progam is bullsh**T!"

Why did you just waste my time?

Some of us come here to get things done for the community, not to show our ability to use foul language.

Unlike other forums we actually follow the rules as opposed to simply stating them for "legal reasons".

I am a huge advocate for free speech. It disgusts me that governments feel that they can dicate their rules onto someone else. (Taliban) So you say, "well Twyg, you're just a big f**king hypocrite then, HA! I win!"

Try again ;) You came here voluntarily to say what you want to say with a very lax set of rules, the chinese government doesn't give you a choice as to where you can go to say what you want to say. You simply can't say it anywhere in china.

So I agree, I'll turn my head to vulgarity, but only on another board that has no rule on vulgar language. On these boards that's a simple rule which has been requested.

I won't repeat myself again. Play by the rules.
This is your last warning.

Oh, and keep trolling around, it got ManicDVLN real far. ;)

Originally posted by GadgetLover
I agree and will censor myself but ...

I do find it troubling that no one discusses the "WHERE CAN I PIRATE THIS ILLEGAL PIECE OF SOFTWARE" threads but profanity is taboo?? I find threads that talk about TRUE 'hacking' or how to circumvent copyright law to be just as un "professional" as people saying ahh sh**t.

As such, I am confused.

I would tend to agree, but that's something you need to talk to Admin about.

twyg, calm down, its just profanity, combinations of letters that people are offended by only because other humans told them they should be offended by them. If i say F*** now means happy super duper fun slide, who's to say it does or doesn't? When that word was made, it was made by a human being just like you or me, not some god-like word creator thing. If people don't like profanity and they are over 13, they shouldn't be here, because its part of our world, and people are going to use it no matter what. If you don't like all of us for swearing, then you should just have a kiddie mac os x forum on a different page and force people under 13 to go to that one. Most of us are adults here, and profanity is only a problem with you so far. Nobody else posts problems about it, do they?

Ok, I am starting to get a little angry here. If we have to stop swearing then user MDLarson has to get rid of the part in his avitar that has the fish with the word JESUS in it. That offends me big time because well, I am not in the mood to see f'n jesus being flashed in my face everytime I read things in this great forum. Gahhhh, what does that gif animation mean? I like apple so I have to like stupid jesus? OYYYYY ANNOYED! and btw F*CK JESUS <---- there, now that seems fair when you put the two together, doesn't it?

I'd have to aggree. This is a forum for everyone. I dont want to show my grandmother something on here that says how to fix something on her mac and then see somebody swearing about their problems. I aggree the profanity isn't really a big deal when you look at it as just words, but thats not the way society is.

Everyone aggreed to not swear on here so just don't. And also I beleive that the moderators and admin have cut everybody a lot of slack, and are willing to make exceptions (notice the cuss thread). If you can't form a sentence with out swearing then I suggest you go back to grade 1.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. I as guilty as everyone else, when talking to a person I'll swear, but I dont think that this is the place. You have to take into consideration your audience. And in this case your audience is anybody. Would you get up in front of a large audience of unknown people and start swearing after you had been told NOT too. I don't think so.

Oh and about censorship being unamerican. Give me a (I'd insert something here in real life, but i'm being considerate and I wont) break. I guess you guys are the only civilized nation out there too. Did you know that we only got running water last year? We all know that the United States is the most free and peaceful and best place anywhere. And anyone outside of the US is wrong. Its not unamerican for god sakes. Your government censors things all the time. So don't go mindlessly posting things like that.

I dont mean to pick A fight, I like americans and it is a great country, but people who are over patriotic and ignorant piss me off...

Too bad we can only censor swearing and not ignorance...

saying you should go back to 1st grade because you can't form a sentence without using a swear? Wow, I must have been sick that day, I don't remember that lesson

Good you can go back into elemetry school as well to learn the difference between figurative and literal language :).

Here's my vote for keeping these forums a verbally clean place, like we agreed to do when we registered. I enjoy these forums appreciate the no-profanity rule and the admins' efforts to keep the site clean - thanks guys.

Here are my thoughts on the topic: twyg is correct in doing what he is doing. after all, this is a membership required forum. Being a moderator, twyg has the capability to so whatever he thinks is necessary. As googolplex said, they cut us a lot of slack already. satanic pop tart, if you want to look at whoever doesn't allow all out swearing (most schools, public gathering locations, private property, etc) then a whole lot of people are "Un American." Again, as i said, twyg has a lot more power than he's using, so lets just be thankful he isn't terminating people's memberships for saying "damn" or something like that.

lol, i was just reading over my post and thinking about how funny it looked with my avatar... no offense meant by it... it's explained that i'm high on mac's... not other stuff ;)

Back