ACDSee is great on PC. Any like it for Intel Mac

blakezie

Registered
I love ACDSee. However, that product is no longer supported for Mac.

I need a file viewer / browser like it. I do not want to import anything into it. I want to be able to rove over the entire hard drive to see image files where they are.

I downloaded the old Mac version 1.6 (I think) of ACDSee and it seemed to work but I could not license it. Any solutions?

Graphic Converter is great. If you want something much smaller (and free) that may fit your needs, try FFView. Not nearly as many features as GC, but it's noticeably faster.

For going through a directory full of images, I like JView. It will go to the next image with Command-right arrow (or to previous with cmd-left). It is somewhat limited as to what types of images it will handle, but it does the most common ones. Toyviewer handles more formats and offers some simple editing as well, but the advance to the next image is not as nice.

One thing I really liked about ACDSee before they added all that crap was that it did two things really well: look at pictures and give you a browser view of the directory.

On PC, I only use ACDSee v2.2 because the recent editions tried to do too many things, like actual image editing.

FFView looks promising. I'll give it a try and report back.

I tried FFview and it doesn't do the one thing that I want: go through each of the images in the current directory.

In ACDSee, you could go to the next image by hitting spacebar or clicking on the icon.

Is there any Mac alternative that does this?

I was also an avid ACDSEE user before I bought my ibook g4 and have really felt the pain from the lack of a fast, effective picture viewer for people that want to keep their files in a specific folder structure. The best combo I have found ( and I think I must be pretty close to trying all viewer/browser programs on osx now ) browsing to the folder I want with finder and then using a program called XEE as my default image viewer ... easily gos full screen (and back), good keyboard shortcuts for direction of viewing.

But its far from perfect ... I am still shocked at the lack of such an obviously useful program from a platform that prides its self (and markets its self) on being the better choice for the graphic design community. Iphoto is so bloated and unresponsive with large and varied image collections its not even an option for me.

Anyway good luck ... if you come across a solution you feel is better please let me know, I'm still searching for that holy grail!

mgirando, Xee is a perfect replacement, and I can't thank you enough.

I'm not looking for anything more than viewing the images in a directory, so it's perfect for my use.

Are there any problems with it that I should know about?

No Xee has never hung up on me or displayed any bugs... its as solid as a rock. I even forced it to open a few files that it just isn't supposed to and it just brushes them off and kept going. I would personally still like a side panel to let me see and browse my file system ... but I'm not too upset because I'm not smart enough to be able to code it myself :) so it seems unfair to complain that others havn't made something just how I like it, haha.

glad to help btw.

I only occasionally use the ACDSee to browse the filesystem, so it's not a big loss.

However, I do like to use recursive slide show to get all the images in a directory plus sub-directories.

I haven't found an option in Xee to do this. Do you know of a way?

I use my wife's computers (PCs--yeah, this is a mixed marriage) and just became acquainted with ACD See. She used my Macs and got acquainted with GraphicConverter. We both agree that GraphicConverter is superior--it even reads PDF files!

This is an older thread, but I too am looking for an ACDsee replacement.

Does Graphic Converter allow you to assign categories and keywords and print out catalogs of your pics? I don't need the editing tools.

iPhoto has been mentioned on other forums, but a lot of people don't like it and I hate to redo all the work I put into ACDsee and find out it was time wasted.

Thanks for advice!

Back