admin

Flondrixa

Registered
is it possible to root login without enabling root login on NetInfo Manager? if so, please email response to JPrudence@gmail.com Thanx!!!

If you don't have a root password, you can't root login.
Besides, I wouldn't recommend to log in as root. Just sudo.
Are you trying to enable the root for your own system or log in to some other machine? Why do you need the root login?

my mom just got her first MacBook and while she was doing the initial upload, she didn't make herself an administrator. So now there isn't an admin password so she can't download stuff... I, being the lowly CS major that I'm Not, have no way how to fix this for her. someone told me that i could root login in and make an admin password for her, but they didn't give me very clear instructions. so I'm stuck.

First tell her NOT to PANIC!!! That is important because clear heads can fix this easily. Since you said she never made an Admin account (that is impossible but i will go from that premise). So tell HER (you can't do this remotely!) to get the install install disk and boot with it. don't worry just follow these steps:

1. Take the current OS X install disk and boot the Mac (hold down the C button during boot).

2. When the install come up use the menu items (don't reninstall) to find the process of making a new users and resetting the main password.

3. Stop and quit the install disk & reboot. Then when it finally boots go to the System Preferences (in the dock)->Accounts pane. There check out the accounts to make sure the current user or someone on the machine is now an Admin account.

I repeat you CAN NOT do this remotely! Frankly it looks like someone made this story up to hack into someone's Mac. If you are really serious in helping her then read the thread [HOWTO] Reset User Password via single user mode.

Back