Adobe Creative Suite 3

Photoshop Extended has some video stuff, I think. I guess you should go about it this way:

New Buyer vs. Upgrader

If you're a new buyer, look at the suites and choose the one which fits your needs. (If money doesn't matter, get the Master Collection.)

If you're an upgrader, buy the one replacing your current apps. (If money doesn't matter, get the Master Collection.)

:)

boy, that is awfully complicated. makes Vista's version system seem far less convoluted by comparison!

I agree. Is seems that Adobe has graduated from the Microsoft School of Confusion.

On a side not: I am still waiting for those advantages that were promised by Adobe when they introduced their draconically enforced anti piracy activation scheme. They must have been forgotten. Where's the lower prices? Where's the more flexible license schemes?

Working in a company that doesn't have graphics as their core business I find it hard to shell out stupendous amounts of money for 10+ copies of Photoshop and Illustrator when there's never more that 2 of them used concurrently. Mind you, we do have power users which won't stick up with the alternatives that are usually offered when I mention this (Gimp, PS Elements...), but both Photoshop and Illustrator get used rather rarely in our company.

So, Adobe, how about floating licenses??? That would finally be something that would get a lot of people I know to shell out some extra bucks to have all installed copies that "float around" in their business to be legally licensed.

On another side note, the European prices are almost double in some cases. What's that all about? Adobe is not exacly making us want to buy their products with treats like that.

They said GoLive would maybe live on within a different product. But I guess there's not much sense in that...

More info on CS3 here, but just the big five (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Flash) since the other apps haven't released their final versions yet:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/25322.html

I have to say I'm very confused by all the different upgrade and purchase options. Why can't they just sell CS3 and be done with it? Why do we need Professional and other versions?? It all started with Acrobat Professional and Standard: No one knew, not even the most experienced designers, which one to get!

I did find Adobe's product range a bit on the unnecessarily complicated side, I have to admit. I'm quite tempted to upgrade, led mainly by InDesign's new features, as I still use InDesign 2 (not to be confused with InDesign from CS2).

With more and more applications becoming Intel-native, including Office 2008, it will become a particularly lucrative time for software developers... and perhaps particularly expensive for those who upgraded to Intel Macs (OK, no one is necessarily forced to upgrade, I admit).

EDIT: thanks for posting this by the way bbloke
Thanks for this, and you're welcome. :)

I think that $2,500 is alot just for that. Also I don't like that there becoming like Microsoft and making so many different packages.

"just for that"? The master collection gives you quite _everything_ of those pro Adobe apps. I don't see how those 2500$ can be seen as "just for that". ;)

I heard that CS3 applications cannot be read by CS2. Anyone know if that's true?

If by "applications" you mean "files", I can well imagine. Adobe has done this before (Indesign, anyone?) and will most certainly do it again. Even more so now that they have the print publishing market in their firm grip (quasi monopoly). They want everybody to upgrade to CS3.

I heard that CS3 applications cannot be read by CS2. Anyone know if that's true?

You can open Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks and Dreamweaver files made in the CS3 versions with older versions. However, if you use some feature that is new to CS3 it will be either discarded or will not load properly on the old version.

Flash has a new version of ActionScript(3.0), so documents made using AS 3.0, will not open in Flash 8 because the engine is different. You can still make documents that use AS 2.0 which can be opened in the previous version tho.

It is similar with InDesign CS3, you just export your document in InDesign Interchange format and it will be backwards compatible. As is the case with all the apps, new features that are available only on CS3 will not work on previous versions.

sal

All versions of InDesign aren't backwards compatible in the sense that earlier versions can _never_ open files saved by a newer version. It's a pity - and holding back the introduction of newer versions in professional environments. But it's not a "bug" specific to CS3.

To change the subject a little I've installed Photoshop CS3 Extended and I absolutely love it on my Intel Mac — it's super fast, super snappy and feels more complete than CS2. Very happy :)

Yes Photoshop CS3(and every CS3 app) is awesome. A funny fact: Photoshop CS3 launches faster than Firefox! Super fast.

Back