Adobe CS3 due in mid-2007

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
Adobe recently announced that CS3, which will be the first version of their products to run natively on Intel-based Macs, will be available in Q2 2007. (Source.) I'm a little disappointed to learn it'll take that long. That's bound to keep some pros in the PPC camp for a while longer.

When Apple originally said they'd complete their transition to Intel by mid-2007, I figured that was so that all the pro apps would be ready before they killed the Power Mac G5. Then when Apple went back and said they'd finish in 2006, I was a little concerned. I feel like Apple treated their developers poorly with this change of plans, but I wonder if they really had much choice. I mean, I guess there won't be any faster G5s coming from IBM, so it wouldn't make sense to wait at all after Intel releases their first tower-worthy chip. Then again, they could've known that last year, too...

Any thoughts on the matter?

my thoughts is that they'll release the power mac replacement when it's ready, not when photoshop is, and that they'll carry on selling and making the G5 until all major apps have crossed over. Remember how long they sold the G4 towers in the apple store for after the G5 came out? it was at least a year.

I'm upset by this, i was hoping to have CS3 out by the end of the year. But CS2 is usual able under Rosetta, just make sure you max out the ram.

From what i've heard though, CS3 is a complete re-compile of the entire line up using XCode. So it is going to take a while, i was just hoping Adobe started last year with it.

Hopefully CS3 will be faster than CS2's start up and not be a memory hog

with the move to xcode, maybe they'll make all their apps Cocoa. proper cocoa. fast, dynamic, efficient proper apple cocoa....

I can only hope that they tap into CoreImage/CoreVideo in this iteration of CS. They do that and they'll have apps that could sway professionals in bigger numbers.

gerbick; how much swaying does ADOBE need to do? Every professional I've ever met uses Photoshop, Illustrator. InDesign won't benefit from CI or CV to move ahead of QXP.

gerbick said:
I can only hope that they tap into CoreImage/CoreVideo in this iteration of CS. They do that and they'll have apps that could sway professionals in bigger numbers.

from what i've heard too is that you will need Tiger to run CS3 as well, making it seem that CoreImage will be used in these updated apps.

I also heard that Photoshop/Illustrator and whatever other products they have now will have the "sliding" pallets from InDesign, all the pallets open, just click to open and click to close.

can anyone give verification of this?

ah yes, and also no. rumour has it, and it seems likely, that they will use their lovely new 'unified' interface seen in the new Production Suite (After Effects 7, Encore DVD, Premier etc). windows users love it. i hate it. it looks like Sony XP software (anyone who has had one of their NetMD player will know how bad this is), and just generally now resembles windows software ported to the mac. it's all one window of sliding pallettes, i suppose sort of like iTunes, but with a UI designed by a Microsoft fan.

Attachments

• Picture-2.png
    Picture-2.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 12
RGrphc2 said:
from what i've heard too is that you will need Tiger to run CS3 as well, making it seem that CoreImage will be used in these updated apps.
Hmm. If this is true, it makes me wonder if Adobe's announcement is tied to Microsoft pushing back Vista. If the Mac version CS3 will be making heavy use of Core Image, it's possible that the Windows version will be similar — and XP doesn't have anything like Core Image.

Y'think?

The only thing stopping me from getting a new Macbook Pro is the lack of integrated application support. With this news I won't be getting a new mac until the next lineup is released. Sigh.

Mikuro said:
Hmm. If this is true, it makes me wonder if Adobe's announcement is tied to Microsoft pushing back Vista. If the Mac version CS3 will be making heavy use of Core Image, it's possible that the Windows version will be similar — and XP doesn't have anything like Core Image.

Y'think?

Avalon?

(Avalon being the Quartz/Core Image layer in Longhorn that won't be released with Vista as it just won't be ready, but will be added at a later date, along with WinFS, i think.)

Oh. Man, Microsoft has cut so much out of Vista that I can't keep track of it all. Are you sure about that, though? I was under the impression Vista's entire "glass" interface was powered by their version of Core Image. Are they really doing all that fancy dynamic blurring and distortion without hardware optimization? (Sure, Apple did it with OS X, but still.)

Maybe they have the API in place now, and they just haven't written the GPU optimizations yet. If that's the case, then developers like Adobe could get onboard immediately, so it's still possible that's what Adobe has in mind.

Perhaps the more relevant question is, would Adobe dare to release a Vista-only product in 2007? AFAIK they haven't made any statements about system requirements, but I have to admit it seems unlikely.

Aw well, my conspiracy theory is busted. :( ;)

Back