Advantages & Disadvantages of Partitioning

BlingBling 3k12

Somewhere... dunno though
I am new to partitioning (both Windows and Mac platforms) and from what I've heard, partitioning a Hard Drive seems to be the way to go...

I will have a 60 GB Hard Drive in my new iMac

What will be on there? Music (about 3 gigs), Video (from my DV camcorder), and until I figure out how to network properly, that will probably be about it.

I figured that keeping it all without partitioning would be good... but from what I hear, partitioning speeds up the system.

Now, I don't want to totally f*ck it up the minute I get this (oh you have no idea how pissed my dad would get)... so would it all work fine without partitioning?

Thanks guys!
Casey (Bling)

I always give myself at least two partitions...

one for the operating system and programs and my desktop (where I keep tons of stuff)

The other ends up being a dumping ground

eventually it's cleaned out... but for the most part it's just storage space.

The benefit is that I can completely blow away my OS install without touching the other files. In my current setup I have my pictures folder aliased there, my music folder, fonts, and a few other things. After that it's just TONS of files.

-stephen

I suggest leaving the partitions as is until you get used to Mac OS X. Then possibly in a few months you could start worrying about setting up partitions.

I always partition my drive, one for Mac OS 9, one for Mac OS 10, and one as a storage dumpster. If YOU have more than one OS on the computer you should install each OS on a different partition so you can switch between the two at startup with the option key

I always partition my drive, one for Mac OS 9, one for Mac OS 10, and one as a storage dumpster. If [emphasis added] I had more than one OS on the computer I would definately partition since you could select which one to boot with using the option key.
Uh, didn't you just say that you have more than one OS?

I did say I have more than one OS and I do have separate partitions for each. I suggested that IF you had more than one OS then you should have a separate partition for each.

A lot of pros suggest moving your swap file to a seperate hard disk if you have two. This is a highly advanced manuver and although it apparently gets easier with a utility called Swap Cop, I would be afraid to try it with something so core to the system. This would speed your processing.

Please note that the articles suggest this for seperate hard drives, not partitions because you are still reading through the same dirve bus.

Partitions can still be useful so you don't get fragmentation on your OS. Then you have the probelm of deciding what goes with your OS partition. Applications and the Users directory and libraries are happier in the original path. Mp3's and video and your download folder are good things to keep away from your OS.

I personally have two partitions because (I don't know if this is true) I've been told that on older machines like mine, OS X must reside on it's own 8 gig partition. (anyone know if that is true? I'd like to know). I have 8 of 30gigs for system, Documents, Library, Desktop and aliai to movies, music, public which point to my other partition with my OS 9 system.

In your situation, one parition will be great, I don't even think you will notice any speed increase by partitioning and it's just a lot more work and headache than it's worth. If I find out I don't need two partitions I will go back to one.

A couple of things, first Koelling, OS X must reside on the first 8 gigs of the drive, it doesn't need an 8 gig partition for itself. Second, Biff, holding the option key down at startup will not allow you to chose which partition, but which device, i.e. CD or Hardrive. I have tried running OS 9 and X with several different variations of partitions. X had one 9 had one, and everything else was on one. X and 9 on one and the rest on the other. X on one 9 on one, apps on one, documents (mp3, video .doc) on one. All I can see is that if you have the OS on a partition by itself, the main benefit is that if it gets messed up you can reformat that partition and not loose your docs and such. Now I stick with one partition (yeah I know there are more than one, but only one that the os will show by default). Back when OS 9 was it I ran with 2 one for OS, one for everthing else. In X I don't like to do that because a lot of installers will install to the apps folder and I don't like using alaises.
Anyway, that's just my thoughts.

WRONG.
Holding down OPTION [alt] at Startup WILL allow you to pick from a list of any Drives (partitions /cd/zip too maybe) that have a (compatible) operating system on them. It does however, sometimes take a few moments for the full list to be displayed.

booting with Alt will show you all the partitions.

But : if your OSX and OS9 are on the same partition, you will not be allowed to choose between them.
That's why most of us consider separating the two OS, with a partition for each.
BTW, if BlingBling 3k12 want to import video, I would suggest that he build a partition for that, just to be sure he will always have a clean partition to record his final video on a clean (non-fragmented) space.

OK, so are you saying holding down option or shift+option? I never hear mac people refer to the option key as alt.
Thanks

option, not shift+option. We should call it by the pictogram under alt, but I never knew how to write it.

I said use the Option [alt] button, because on my keyboard (pro) it has ALT in little letters at the top of the key, and im pretty sure its the same on the keyboard with my pre- pro keyboard imac that i never use.

Also, on wintel keyboards, it is alt, and then there is the whole ctrl/command difference which is stupid.

anyways.

Quack!

QP

Hang on!.
What pictogram under alt? you arent getting confused with the command key, with the apple symbol (which wont show up even if i put it in here. stupid system.) and the # type thingo are you?

I knew of the alt on the option key (my ketboard is pro too), it's just I've never heard a mac person refer to it that way, kinda like calling the clear key the num lock. And as for the control key, PC and Mac keyboards have them, are you thinking of the command key? And as for the whole alt issue, I think apple put it on thier keyboards for virtual pc users (probably not, but sounds good, huh?).
Anyway

never heard a macuser saying "alt" ?

Sorry to get you such disapointed. I work in an herogeneous environment (with mac and pcs), so I have to explain basic things to basic users very often. To avoid a hard brain gymnastic, I've made some compromises. I call the apple key "command", and the option key "alt". It optimized my answers delay...

OK, that I can understand, simple solution to a problem, and since you use it all time you just say it . Kinda like me calling an invoce an "MD", as that is the code we enter inter our work computers for an invioce. And I need to correct myself, I have heard mac users refer to the alt key, but only when talking about windows.

Hi Folks,
I am new to this board and would appreciate some expert advice. I have two computers and one USB external hard drive 250 gig. I want to partition it in half and back up my PC complete with O/S (XP Pro) on one half and my Mac G5 (10.4) complete with O/S on the other. Then I want to use it to back up both systems on a regular basis. Is this possible? Is it advisable?
I partitioned it on MAC for PC and can't seem to reformat one half only for the MAC.

PC= Dell Dimension 8400 3.2 2 gig ram 250 gig hd
MAC= G5 PowerMac dual 2.0 w 2.5 gig ram 160 gig hd

Thanks in advance,
John

JohnnyVegas said:
Hi Folks,
I am new to this board and would appreciate some expert advice. I have two computers and one USB external hard drive 250 gig. I want to partition it in half and back up my PC complete with O/S (XP Pro) on one half and my Mac G5 (10.4) complete with O/S on the other. Then I want to use it to back up both systems on a regular basis. Is this possible? Is it advisable?
I partitioned it on MAC for PC and can't seem to reformat one half only for the MAC.

PC= Dell Dimension 8400 3.2 2 gig ram 250 gig hd
MAC= G5 PowerMac dual 2.0 w 2.5 gig ram 160 gig hd

Thanks in advance,
John

I'd just buy another external hard disk. But if you insist, there's a 0-50 dollar solution here:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/sharefwdrive.html

Back