airport computer to computer network, OSX

mcon

Registered
:confused:

I've got a TiBook and iBook at home with a base station.

Both machines can access the internet etc.

I set up a computer to computer network that both machines can see. Now, how can I make the machines mount each other?

I go to 'connect to server', expecting to see the other machine show up in the local network or appletalk networks, but nothing is there. Appletalk is on, file sharing, etc

I can connect both machines with ethernet, but not airport.

Do I need to configure NetInfo manager for this?

I expected to just have the other machine mount on my desktop really. It's driving me mad.

any help appreciated

mc

Since you didn't specify, I'll assume both your Macs are running OS X. If you want to use Appletalk, Apple says to be sure you only have Appletalk turned 'on' for one network 'port' (in the 'Show' popup) of the Network preferences.

For TCP/IP networking, maybe you can give more details of how you set up your computer-to-computer network 'that both machines can see'. Sounds like there may be a problem here, since they don't seem to be able to see one another.

I have a friend who wrote an article, which was just published. He created a routing table to do what you're asking (I think). He was writing terminal instructions last time I talked to him about it.

Once the routing table is setup, both machines (or up to four machines) could act as a host to eachother on the LAN.

I'll contact him and see if we can't put you two together. I am sure he can help you he's Apple certified in Networking. Without knowing your exact networking setup, that's the best I can do for ya mcon :-(

Email me at: evildan@mac.com if you're interested.

Back