Airport dropping signal

prozachx

Registered
So, I have had an iMac for a little over a year now. Since day one I have had many problems with my airport dropping my wireless connection.

I will start the computer up for the day and it will have 2 bars with no internet. I will turn it off and then back on and it will work for maybe 30seconds. After about 20 mins, it will stabilize and work as it should. Occasionally it will drop out again. However, whenever I turn it back on after not using it for a while, the process repeats.

I have made another thread about this and have tried many recommendations on fixing the problem...here is that thread: http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/311053-airport-issues.html#post1486241

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked. I am wondering if this is a hardware issue? Or is there some breakthrough new method that people are having success with? I have done an updated search and havent found much.

Thanks in advance for the help

I was having similar problems and I made several posts to this thread about how I got my system working well, 5 bars all the time.

Don't worry that the thread starts off with a question about a NetGear router, the suggestions are generic and I don't have NetGear, mine is LinkSys.

If you find anything helpful in the thread please post a response to that thread so others can benefit.

It was hard to follow exactly what steps you were reccomended but I removed some files and used istumbler and a few other suggestions. No luck yet...anyone have any other advice?

Just to satisfy my curiosity type the following into a Terminal window and post the results.

ls -al /var/log/*.out (hit return)

sorry not familiar with what you mean...how do I pull up a terminal?

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Would love to finally be able to use my mac after 1.5 years ><

sorry not familiar with what you mean...how do I pull up a terminal?
Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

It's an application, double click it, it starts and you'll see a blank window.

Paste in the line I asked you to, then press return.

So here's somethign to throw into the mix...still having same issues. However, I used Bootcamp to run PC...when I'm on my Imac on the PC Side..I have no connection issues what so ever.

So it definitely seems to be a Mac software issue right?

How about doing what simbalala asked you to do back on March 10th if you really want help with the issue?

tried doing it a while ago nothing would happen. just tried again and got this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 443482 Mar 20 08:44 /var/log/daily.out
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1008 Mar 1 20:01 /var/log/monthly.out
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 12292 Mar 20 08:48 /var/log/weekly.out

So I've been experimenting further...when I dont let my iMac "sleep" (so the airport is never turning off) I still get connectivity. I've been just turning the display off ...not the harddrive or anything.

So what this means is i'm only having airport issues when I'm just turning on the wifi. Is there a way to keep my computer from turning wifi off when it sleeps?

Last edited:
What do you see when you do what I suggested in this post?

I often had problems when I woke the machine up from sleep but as I said, I have it working five-bars-all-the-time now.

Back