airport express and internet tv hookup

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
I have airport express as my router, connected directly to the modem. Works fine. I do have the computers set up with, I guess, additional security, meaning they all are set up with password requirements.

I have a new Panasonic G20 internet tv with the ethernet hookup. I bought a switch - after returning a hub - and this will not work either.

Well, it works, but only one or the other: I have the ethernet out of the modem, into the switch, then a line to the Airport Express and a line to the tv. If I can get the tv to come up and work, the APE flashes yellow. If I disconnec the tv, disconnect the modem, the cable, and reconnect a couple times, I get back online.

Do I need to hook everything up, then reset the APE? You know, go thru the whole paperclip thing? Or, is there something simple I am missing, like making sure everything is turned off, then disconnecting, then reconnecting? I know that often solves lots of modem problems.

Or, do I spend an additional $20, buy a wireless router (as the instructions in the TV booklet says) and just let the APE find the wireless connection?

Very frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for any help this Labor Day!!!

Yes....cable to modem, modem ethernet to switch. APE, ethernet to switch; tv ethernet to switch (this ethernet goes into LAN on back of tv).

The configuration without the tv is the cable to the modem, ethernet from the modem to the APE. I have another APE bridging to the back of the house. I just have the APE "boxes" (what I call them), so the one APE acts like a router I guess. I'm just wondering if all this would be cleared if I just got either a wired router or a wireless router, and whether this would actually help boost the APE to the back of the house. I get excellent speeds where the APE(n) is, but I have the APE (b/g) halfway from the (n) to the back so I can get online in my office. It's okay, but no where near as good as the (n), which I know it won't be, due to the backward tech.

So, wondering if I should just go with a router. But, I was also told by the experts at Best Buy that the router would cause problems with the APE.

BTW, Each time I've tried to do this, I've hooked up everything with the computers and tv on. Then I've rebooted and turned tv on/off. I'm wondering if I should turn off the computers, tv, do the switch hookup, then turn everything on?

Well the ISP modem will dish out 1 IP. The Express accepts 1 IP. I think you would be better of with a full router behind the modem (the router will have their own small built-in switch) and then hooked the Express into 'Bridged Mode' so it get an IP from the main router and the Express won't try to do NAT (network address translation). Just make sure you get a router with a fast switch in it like this to make sure HD video comes out of it cleanly.

I was looking at a Belkin that was rated at N300 that was wired, however. Since its about 3 feet from the tv, I thought this would be a good way to go. But, would wireless solve the APE problem. I mean, if I did a wireless, I wouldn't even have to connect the APE via ethernet at all, would I? I'd just have it find the wireless router. And, would that boost the signal to the back?

Or, is wired going to give me a better, stable connection with the tv and the ethernet to the APE to the router be fine? I didn't get the router in the first place because the "networking expert" at Best Buy said it would cause problems. So, he sold me the switch...which causes, as you describe, problems. :)

Last edited:
Back