Airport Extreme Bridging question

whitesaint

cocoa love
Hi all, haven't posted here in a while. I have a Mac Mini that is terrestrial wired to ethernet, and I have the Mac Mini broadcasting the internet over WiFi via the built in Airport.

My question is, if I get an Airport Extreme base station, can I bridge the Mac Mini's wireless internet connection? And if so, how..?

Many thanks for any answers.

Let me get this straight. Your Mac mic is wired right to the modem and it sharing it's connection via the built in airport card, is that correct?

I ask because if you buy an Airport Extreme (before you buy a router make sure all your computers can receive the frequency (a, b, g or n). Plus are you going to get the latest Airport Extreme or an older one? I ask because you better bet would be use the wireless router (any brand) as the first device after the ISP modem. I say this because if it is high speed the router can NAT (network address translation) the lone IP your ISP gives you. Then make sure the wireless router has ethernet ports on the back so you can use older machines if need be. This way all your machines will be on the same "subnet" (in the same local IP range) for private sharing of files/music/screens/etc. Also the wireless router can always be connected to the ISP while your sleep the machines at night. Plus the NAT router will hide your local network from nasty net scanners and such.

Last edited:
Back