Airport Hub = HUGE BOTTLENECK!?!?! HEEELLLPP

blackoutspy

Registered
My home network is as follows, a DSL modem pluged into the airport hub, my windows machine plugged into the airport hub via ethernet cable. My laptop, a G4 titanium along with 4 other windows machines are connected Wirelessly to the Hub. Our DSL is a T1 Connection, and with only one computer pluged directly into the DSL we fly. But as soon as i get everything on the airport so we can all use the connection, speeds grind to a halt, basically making anything involving a connection useless. If i hard reset the hub, everything works smoothly for a few mins, but then gums up again. Anyone have any idea at all on whats going on? I'm going crazy here, fueld by rage. The wireless cards in use are my laptop's Airport card, and 4 D-Link wireless cards. PLEASE HELP ME :mad:

What kind of "airport hub" are you using? I suppose it's a router and not just a hub. If you are using a hub, then this might be the problem. And what kind of wifi are you using? 802.11a or b or g? 11mBit shared with 5 wireless lan devices including lan transfer can be slowed down a lot.

Sorry, the Airport Device im using is in fact a router, It's the airport router that apple sells that looks like a flying white saucer. All the cards are G, so 54mps. The transfers that are suffering are not within the network, although i'm sure they're not to great, but its transfers between out house and the outside world. I know that the line is ok, because with one computer hard connected to it, it just flys.

It seems that the bottle neck happens at intervals, like maybe every half hour? And when this happens, All transfers grind to a hault. And wireless connection is sometime lost. I don't know if these problems are tied together or not, but something is going on in intervals that is makin stuff slow down. All i need to find out is what.

Does your lan transfer suffer as well? What's the brand name and model type of your router? Did you search for firmware updates?
If you have the most recent firmware for your router, you should try to trace down the problem to a certain protocol. Is it possible for you to directly connect one of your computers to the internet modem? Maybe there are some problem with your ISP?!

Our DSL works just great with a computer connected directly to it. The router i am using is the Apple Airport Extreme. As far as my laptop is telling me it is as up-to-date as it can be. All transfers going through the router during one of its fits, suffer.

I have had the same problem but with less computers on the network and the problem was solved when i installed the lastest firmware version for the airport extreme basisstation.

Back