Airport prob - powerbook won't connect

Jimbolgs

Registered
Recently bought an eMac and fitted Airport, I was up and running in minutes.

My connection is an NTL cable internet connection - with a d-link wifi router attached.

My eMac connects without any stress.

I got an Airport card for my PowerBook G3 and fitted it, it sees my wireless network and in the network status it says "You are connected to the internet".

I launch a browser and it says it can't find the specified server - any site I try!

I've checked the network status and the router has assigned me an IP address. Everything is the same as the eMac except the end of the IP address is 1 number higher.

My head's going to explode cos I don't understand what's wrong!

I even drove to MacDonalds to see if I could connect to their WiFi network, and I could so does anyone have a clue?

do you have any MAC filters on? Does lan network work? Ping to your eMac? Is your firewall activated on the powerbook? Can you ping the routers ip? Did you try to ping the www over the terminal: ping www.test.com ?

OK, I reset the router and now both connect.

However, when I switch on WEP password, only 1 computer can connect at a time

hmmm, doesn't sound right. Did you check for firmware updates for your d-link router? Maybe you should turn off the 22mbit option or any kind of faked tuning. Such options bundle the channels and when there are two or more wifi connections, they tend to disturb eachother once a channel is used for both devices.

Actually, the powerbook is for sale and really I just wanted to test it with the new airport card I just put in.

I've had it working now so Im happy to sel it.

I just wanted to get the password working so my neighbours can't connect because I noticed another wifi network somewheere in my street - I can connect to that so they must be able to connect to mine - except now I have wep working!

May just cancel my subscription and use theirs :)

I tested their bandwidth and it's not bad :) :) :)

Back