Airport Won't Auto Login

Richman67

Registered
Hi all,
I've got an AL 12"PB with an airport extreme card (my first Mac...I LOVE IT!) and I have it hooked into a WiFi network at home via a Linksys "G" router to my homebrew XP box and a DSL modem.

Problem is, everytime I restart the PB, it won't re-connect to the network automatically. It knows the network is there, but shows no connection (all bars grey). I have to turn off the airport card, turn it back on, then re-log on to the netowork (I use WPA to secure the network, pre-shared key).

Any ideas?

BTW, I use the windows sharing feature of Panther, and it works great. I bounce files back and forth and it works super. Even the printer sharing works.

Best,
Richard

AL 12" PB 1Ghz 768Mb w/Superdrive & Airport Extreme

Homebrew XP Box
AMD 2400+
Asus A7N8X MB w/512 Mb
Asus 9280 nVidia GeForce4 128Mb
Liteon DVD & CDRW

All hooked together with a Linksys WRT54G & DSL Modem

If you haven't already told airport to join a (valid) specific network upon waking up from sleep (and such)...

Go to System Preferences. Click on Network. From the "Show" dropdown menu, choose Airport. Make sure the "Airport" tab is highlighted. At this point you should be able to set how you want airport to behave by default. Make sure it's set to join a specific network, giving the network name and password (if required).

If you had already done all this, don't worry, more help is coming. :)

Richman67 said:
Hi all,
I've got an AL 12"PB with an airport extreme card (my first Mac...I LOVE IT!) and I have it hooked into a WiFi network at home via a Linksys "G" router to my homebrew XP box and a DSL modem.

Problem is, everytime I restart the PB, it won't re-connect to the network automatically. It knows the network is there, but shows no connection (all bars grey). I have to turn off the airport card, turn it back on, then re-log on to the netowork (I use WPA to secure the network, pre-shared key).

Any ideas?

BTW, I use the windows sharing feature of Panther, and it works great. I bounce files back and forth and it works super. Even the printer sharing works.

Best,
Richard

AL 12" PB 1Ghz 768Mb w/Superdrive & Airport Extreme

Homebrew XP Box
AMD 2400+
Asus A7N8X MB w/512 Mb
Asus 9280 nVidia GeForce4 128Mb
Liteon DVD & CDRW

All hooked together with a Linksys WRT54G & DSL Modem

I had this same problem with an iBook and a Netgear router using the regular AirPort card. The solution I found was this. Go to Network preferences and select a specific network. Provide the network name and password. This is all I did previously and each time I woke the iBook up the bars were grey and had to reselect the last network used. Here's the catch - Reconnect to your network. Go back in to network preferences and select the automatic network selection. When you wake from sleep it will automatically reconnect to the last network. Seems odd, but it worked for me.

...and if all that fails make sure you have the most current software updates. I had similar problems with my set up and updating to the current airport software solved the problem under panther. Strangely enough I didn't have the problem until I upgraded to Panther.

Dusky said:
If you haven't already told airport to join a (valid) specific network upon waking up from sleep (and such)...

Go to System Preferences. Click on Network. From the "Show" dropdown menu, choose Airport. Make sure the "Airport" tab is highlighted. At this point you should be able to set how you want airport to behave by default. Make sure it's set to join a specific network, giving the network name and password (if required).

If you had already done all this, don't worry, more help is coming. :)

Hi Enrique!

I did that exact thing, and it works like a charm now. I had put in the network name, but never the password because when I had set it up. I didn't have any of the WiFi security turned on, and the password box doesn't show up unless you put a new network in, or edit the old one (I guess it assumes you don't have a password). In any event, I put it in and it works great...logs into the network upon bootup.

Thanks a ton to all! Now if I could just get the networking working for VPC!

best,
Richard

Hey Richard. I see you're a WRT54G user as well. Have you seen the new third-party firmwares available recently?

I am currently using Sveasoft's firmware and am astounded at the extra functionality it provides. Found out about it here.
The thing I like most about it is that I can adjust to power of the wireless transmission. This TiBook gets the worst reception. Just sitting in the next room from the router, the AirPort menu item constantly would drop to two and sometimes three bars. Now that I have increased the output, it stays at four bars no matter where I am in the house.

Here is a list of features that the Sveasoft build offers in addition to what Linksys provided.

Back