Airport Xtreme support for more printers

speedfreak

Registered
I have a hp photosmart printer which will not work when plugged into the usb port on my airport xtreme. Does anybody know how the airport usb port works? Why are so few printers supported? Is it a rondezvous thing? I asked at the Apple store and they had no clue. They just refered me to the list. Are the drivers on the airport? My printer shares from my imac over the airport but i'd like to free up the usb port on the imac.

I am not sure either. I have a Brother HL-1650 laser printer. It is not on the list, but works with extreme. I had to play around for a bit to get it to work. Here is what I did. Make sure the driver and usb connection is on you computer. Then just unplug the usb connection and put it into your Airport. Under printer settings in system preference, add new printer->rendezvous, and hopefully it shows up. If not, the printer should still be on the list, click info and where is says location, put the name of your base station. Not sure if it will work, it took me a while to get it and the system to realize the printer is on Airport, not on my computer. Actually it works much better from my iBook then my G4 for some reason. The driver has to be on your system, and the printer at least once had to be as well.

I have tried all that before - I'm at a loss. The location tag is for your own amusement - has nothing to do with the working of the printer. You need to somehow change the host from local.local to something like airport or the ip of the airport.photosmart7350. Glad you got yours working though. There must be something else you did or your printer is friendlier than mine.

Back