Alpine Electronics supports the iPod in 04 head units

That's cool. I rarely ever actually read the news pages there.... usually jump right to the forums. :D

My 1000 th post, now thats what i want in my car. Anyone watches that show Rides on TLC? They make custom cars, and one car had a iPod docked in a H2 Hummer, and hooked up to a killer sound system. I need to start working on these things for the summer, I'm tired of making CD-RWs for the car. Not to mention, that'll give me a reason to buy an iPod, as of now I don't need one.

if they come out with this before anyone else does, than can pretty much name their price.

That seems to me to be a great way to support iTMS and AAC. If stereo systems that dock the iPod and use the playlists and ratings that you have already built up spring up not only for the car, but for the living room too, that would be hot.

I wonder if this is Alpine's own initiative or if it's pushed by Apple? Is there anything connected to licensing in the design?

I got my 20 GB iPod hooked up to my Alpine CDA-7998 via AUX-in port. Quality is so much better than FM transmitters. My only issue has been that with the AUX-in port active even though I don't have the iPod connected, I get random switching from source to source. Turning off the AUX-in port fixed my issue so for now no iPod in the car. Maybe I'll trade up to a new 04 deck? maybe.. But I will always have an Alpine deck.

Does anyone know if there's a deck out there with an R-L audio in on the front, that would be cool because you would be able to hook up any external audio source.

Viktor

iMan said:
Does anyone know if there's a deck out there with an R-L audio in on the front, that would be cool because you would be able to hook up any external audio source.

Viktor

yes, there are several decks out there that have a mini jack in the front for plugging in things like MP3 players. I've always found it annoying to have the cord hanging down from the face of the deck so I prefer just running an RCA to mini cable from the rear AUX input to the glovebox.

I'm sure that iTunes enabled setup is going to be over 1,000 bucks. It will most defiantly only be available in their top-of-the-line models to start out which are in that price range.

I emailed an Alpine dealer to get more info. At least in the UK, the head units will not be available until April and the iPod conenction kit will not be available 'till October. No pricing has been set for either.

Back