And yall thought the G4 was dead ...

binaryDigit

Registered
There is an article on The Register about Motorola moving up the timetable on the latest G4 proccie (7457). It will be fabbed using a .13 micron process (vs .18 for current G4's) and will use less power, making them excellent candidates for use in Powerbooks (and maybe iBooks?).

There is even mention of a dual proccie PB, now THAT would be something that Apple could crow about. Even the most die hard Wintel freak would have to be impressed if Apple is able to pull that off.

Anyway, go here for more info:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31424.html

Originally posted by mr. K
The G4 ought to be dead! Replace everything with G5's !

The G5 is great, yes, but it will be some time before we see them in laptops I think (not too long, but a bit of time yet). My guess is that IBM is making a G5 chip that is smaller and that takes up FAR less power than the current G5 chip (the current G5 consumes about 43watts of power...the current G4 consumes about 16watts...and if Im wrong on this please correct me:p)

However, having G5's in everything isn't such a bad dream afterall! And maybe, it's not too far off...

Originally posted by Stridder44
...However, having G5's in everything isn't such a bad dream afterall! And maybe, it's not too far off...
"Motorola is huge for us," said Joswiak. "Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] is not going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us, but IBM is the one that can take us to the next level."
from MacCentral

When exactly we thought that G4 will be dead? I think we were saying that G3 will die and still not all of us! :p

I think that we will continue to see G4 based Macs in the 1 or 2 years ahead and even G3 based Macs too! :rolleyes: :D

Back