Anti Spyware Software

stoffa

Registered
Hi there just wondering if someone could recommend to me a good anti spyware software program/s that i could download... I know my macbook comes with a firewall but i just want to protect my mac against any thing that could possibly happen..

If some one could recommend some to me i would be greatfull

Many thanks

ClamXav is free and works. Please don't go with the commercial creations. You can use Google to research how destructive antivirus has been to OS X.

ClamXav is not about spyware at all AFAIK. What are you looking for exactly? Is it about software "calling out" without you knowing? Then "Little Snitch" is what you're looking for. -> http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/10426

(Generally, macupdate.com and versiontracker.com should be your first stop when looking for Mac software.)

There's no real spyware for OS X yet. There are some programs that "call home" checking for updates from their servers mostly for which Little Snitch can be useful to block if you can't turn it off in the program's preferences.

'... i just want to protect my mac against any thing that could possibly happen..' - no such software currently exists; nor has any such software ever existed ... (restricted to MacOS X).

Well, there is no known spyware or viruses on the Mac at present. However, I would recommend you install "Little Snitch" which is an enhancement to the built-in firewall that alerts you when a program attempts to access anything on the network.

I wonder what MacScan _does_ and how, really. I can't just scan for known stuff, since there is none. Unless It actually does nothing and tells you you're okay, then it'd be a 25 dollar placebo. ;)

The following (legible portion of text) was extracted from the 'try' copy of 'MacScan's 'SpywareDefinitions.plist' file (with '2006007' preceeding the information provided):

"desc
eWatch Daemon is a keystroke logger.
name
eWatch Daemon
type
Keylogger

desc
OSXvnc 1.71 is a remote administration program.
name
OSXvnc 1.71
type
Remote Admin Program

desc
Mac Remote Control is a remote administration program.
name
Mac Remote Control 1.1
type
Remote Admin Program

desc
Spy is a trojan horse.
name
Spy 1.2b1
type
Trojan Horse

desc
BackTrack 2.2.7 is a keystroke logger.
name
BackTrack 2.2.7
type
Keylogger

desc
KeystrokeRecorder X 3.3.1 is a keystroke logger.
name
KeystrokeRecorder X 3.3.1
type
Keylogger

desc
eWatch Client is a keystroke logger.
name
eWatch Client
type
Keylogger

desc
TakeDown Suite is a trojan horse.
name
TakeDown
type
Trojan horse

desc
TextTrap is a keylogger.
name
TextTrap
type
Keylogger

desc
SuperSave is a keylogger.
name
SuperSave
type
Keylogger

desc
Peeping Tom is a keylogger.
name
Peeping Tom
type
Keylogger

desc
Mac Life Insurance is a keylogger.
name
Insurance
type
Keylogger

desc
Invisible Oasis/Last Resort is a keylogger.
name
Oasis
type
Keylogger

desc
KeyStroke Recorder is a keylogger.
name
KeyStroke
type
Keylogger

desc
TypeSaver is a keylogger.
name
TypeSaver
type
Keylogger

desc
TypeRecorder is a keylogger.
name
TypeRecorder
type
Keylogger

desc
Monitorer/Keystroke Recorder X is a keylogger.
name
Monitorer
type
Keylogger

desc
Remote Admin Extension is a trojan horse.
name
Remote Admin Extension
type
Remote Admin Program

desc
Spector is a keylogger and screen capture program.
name
Spector
type
Keylogger

desc
Keyboard Spy is a keylogger.
name
Keyboard Spy
type
Keylogger

desc
Keyboard and Mouse Recorder is a keylogger and mouse click capture program.
name
Keyboard Spy and Mouse Recorder
type
Keylogger

desc
CarbonKeys Client 1.2 is a trojan horse client.
name
CarbonKeys Client 1.2
type
Trojan horse

desc
CarbonKeys Client 1.3 is a trojan horse client.
name
CarbonKeys Client 1.3
type
Trojan horse

desc
CarbonKeys Server 1.2 is a trojan horse with keylogging capabilities.
name
CarbonKeys Server 1.2
type
Trojan horse

desc
CarbonKeys Server 1.3 is a trojan horse.
name
CarbonKeys Server 1.3
type
Trojan horse

desc
OSXvnc 1.61 is a remote administration program.
name
OSXvnc 1.61
type
Remote Admin Program

desc
OSXvnc 1.5 is a remote administration program.
name
OSXvnc 1.5
type
Remote Admin Program

desc
Keyboard Spy 1.12 is a keylogger.
name
Keyboard Spy 1.12
type
Keylogger

info
Trojan Horses are malicious programs that run invisibly on your system. Trojan horses can enable a remote attacker to transfer files to and from your computer, delete your files, and view your sensitive information.
name
Trojan Horses

info
Keyloggers are programs that keep track of every key you type while using your computer. This information is stored on your computer, and can sometimes be transferred to a remote attack with a trojan horse. Keyloggers can help a malicious attacker steal sensitive information such as Social Security numbers, Credit Card numbers, and bank account information.
name
Keyloggers

info
Spyware is a generic term for any program that takes your personal information and sends it out from your computer or stores it on your computer. A malicious attacker could use spyware applications to obtain your private information.
name
Spyware

info
Remote Administration programs are generally used by system administrators to control large groups of computers at once, however remote administration programs can also be used by malicious attackers to take complete control over your computer, just as if they were sitting in front of it.
name
Remote Administration"

-----

Additional links (for those interested):
'MacScan' published 'Spyware' list.
'Mac Keystroker Loggers'
Interesting 'Version Tracker' 'MacScan' reviews.

I used mac scan in demo mode, it worked well in Leopard. Thanks to the Mac OS X all that was found was one tracking cookie (from the same source, 12 X's) and one spyware. My system does not have an ill effects due to the using Mac Scan.

Back