Any way to force read badly scratched CDs?

chinarut

Registered
I have a VCD that is very badly scratched. When I try to copy the MPEG file, it reads approx 95% of the way and the Finder quits with an error code -36 (Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "AVSEQ01.DAT" could not be read or written.)

The CD-ROM unit in my mini seems quite sensitive and less forgiving than an off-the-shelf VCD player. Is there any way I can keep what is able to be read on my HD so I may edit out the corrupted parts of the video?

I've searched around and don't seem to have much luck with suggestions to use utilities like cdparanoia to try to get an exact copy of the CD [thus away from the optical defects of the media].

Anyone have any other suggestions?

First try going into DiskUtility and making a disk image of it. (.dmg) that will be an exact copy which you may have better luck opening.

This will try to copy the CD exactly as it is read (errors and all)

But the CD needs to be able to at least partially mount. (It may not appear on the desktop but diskutility recognizes that something is there).

Your question is very similar to asking "Is there a way for me to memorize Moby Dick without actually reading the book?" If the laser can't read the data, it can't read the data. You may have more luck reading the disk in another drive, but it's doubtful you'll get a full read.

Unfortuantely, you most likely need to invest in a good Disk Scratch Removal Device. Hate to be the party-pooper, but I've wasted far too many hours of my own life trying to copy scratched discs to sit by and let someone else waste theirs.

This is a little trick that works for me every once in a while. Only do this if you have tried everything else. It should be done if you have given up on the disc and are ready to throw it away.

I take some tooth paste and rub it semi-forcefully in small circles evenly around the disc. There is a very fine abrasive substance in tooth paste that will re-shape the surface of the disc, hopefully in a way that the laser will be able to access the foil under the plastic. After giving the disc a really good rise and pat it dry, you might get lucky. The process works really well with old scratched-up music CDs but, typically, there is much less info on them, less difficult for the drive to read. I have gotten it to work with software, but it is a little less consistent. Remember, this is a last ditch effort. Don’t do it unless you are ready to give up on getting the info.

Good luck and I hope it works

peeker said:
This is a little trick that works for me every once in a while. Only do this if you have tried everything else. It should be done if you have given up on the disc and are ready to throw it away.

I take some tooth paste and rub it semi-forcefully in small circles evenly around the disc. There is a very fine abrasive substance in tooth paste that will re-shape the surface of the disc, hopefully in a way that the laser will be able to access the foil under the plastic. After giving the disc a really good rise and pat it dry, you might get lucky. The process works really well with old scratched-up music CDs but, typically, there is much less info on them, less difficult for the drive to read. I have gotten it to work with software, but it is a little less consistent. Remember, this is a last ditch effort. Don’t do it unless you are ready to give up on getting the info.

Good luck and I hope it works
I've heard that if ya freeze the CD with the toothpaste and then clean it off, after it's defrosted I guess, it removes the scratches ¿¿¿¿

Back