Anyone else have a Dual 1.8 G5? Problems?

pwharff

Registered
I just helped my Dad buy a dual 1.8 G5 (yes I'm jealous ::evil:: ) and everything seemed at first to be great, but several times I've had to hard restart it. I had it lock up on me twice when playing UT2003 and unexpectedly quit once, locked up twice with Age of Mythology and has unexpectedly quit about a dozen or more times with QuicKeys. I haven't installed any hacks or anything Unsanity like, just a default install of Panther 10.3.1 with nothing else but the games mentioned above. I just want to know if other G5 owners are having the same problems or if I should send it in for repair? I'm thinking maybe I got some bad memory or something.

I have a Dual 1.8 myself, with the latest Panther, it runs fine. I do not play the software you mention, so I cannot confirm nor deny any problems with your specific software.

Just to let you know running web, mail, Dreamweaver, the usual office stuff, it works fine. I don't play any games on it yet.

I assume UT2003 is a game???

rownetcom said:
I have a Dual 1.8 myself, with the latest Panther, it runs fine. I do not play the software you mention, so I cannot confirm nor deny any problems with your specific software.

Just to let you know running web, mail, Dreamweaver, the usual office stuff, it works fine. I don't play any games on it yet.

I assume UT2003 is a game???

I hope my system isn't one of those rare systems with problems. UT2003 is short for Unreal Tournament 2003.

This whole thing seems very unusual. A friend of mine has a G5, and it crashes, locks up, that is. Apple are going to replace it, they think it is a motherboard thing. I reckon maybe you have a dodgy board too. I don't many people who have this, and I haven't read about it, but, however, I don think that it is a small problem, with a few G5 computers...

Since the machine is new, reformat the drive and reinstall the system and basic software, no games, no utilities (Quickeys, etc) or hacks and see how it runs. If it's ok, install one thing at a time and run for a bit. Could be the game is the problem.

pwharff said:
I just helped my Dad buy a dual 1.8 G5 (yes I'm jealous ::evil:: ) and everything seemed at first to be great, but several times I've had to hard restart it. I had it lock up on me twice when playing UT2003 and unexpectedly quit once, locked up twice with Age of Mythology and has unexpectedly quit about a dozen or more times with QuicKeys. I haven't installed any hacks or anything Unsanity like, just a default install of Panther 10.3.1 with nothing else but the games mentioned above. I just want to know if other G5 owners are having the same problems or if I should send it in for repair? I'm thinking maybe I got some bad memory or something.

I've had UT2003 quit several times on my Dual 2Ghz, especially when playing online - I haven't had any other problems other than the "aliens" trying to contact me through my sound system with strange 1Hz beeps and static. Apple replaced the PSU which didn't fix the problem with the beeping but it mysteriously stopped about 2 weeks ago - I have no idea why. I think the UT2003 quitting is a software issue with the game - john.

Man, I got a dual 1.8ghz and it locks up on me too. When playing medal of honor spear head demo, and sometimes running regular programs such as itunes and ichat right after i run medal of honor. I thought it was my old monitor or that i need more ram or something. Maybe I should call apple about this?

bobw said:
Since the machine is new, reformat the drive and reinstall the system and basic software, no games, no utilities (Quickeys, etc) or hacks and see how it runs. If it's ok, install one thing at a time and run for a bit. Could be the game is the problem.

MnM said:
Man, I got a dual 1.8ghz and it locks up on me too. When playing medal of honor spear head demo, and sometimes running regular programs such as itunes and ichat right after i run medal of honor. I thought it was my old monitor or that i need more ram or something. Maybe I should call apple about this?

I re-installed the OS (erased the drive first) like "bobw" had mentioned and everything seems to be working fine for almost a week now. I almost have all my other stuff installed and still everything is working fine. I would highly recomend a re-install on a new machine with problems.

Now, for a totally new problem... I cannot do the usuall hold down "c" key or "option" key while starting up. I have tried many times and it never boots from the DVD that came with the G5 and it nevers gets to the area where you can select what device you would like to start-up with, so I can never start with the hardware test. BTW, this was a problem before and after the clean install.

I started a new thread for this new problem:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=275914#post275914

Back