Anyone know anything about update to the 15" Powerbook?

skidaniel

Registered
Does anyone have any idea or know anything about when the 15" Powerbook will be updated to the level(s) of the new 12 and 17?

I am looking to get a 15" Pbook but am wary about purchasing one, i expect that it should/will be updated in the next 6 months...

Any thoughts? Please feel free to email me...

-Dan
Skidaniel@hotmail.com

Yeah it definitely will be updated in the next 6 months, more likely to be within the next 2 months (after the upcoming iMac refresh). Hopefully the 15" won't compromise on the cool new features the 17" has (AirPort Extreme for example - hopefully they will switch to Aluminum to avoid the poor reception).

Apple wants to get rid of the old supply of 15" PowerBooks now and will wait for the supply chain to clear before introducing new Books.

rumor has it that a 15.4" PB is on the way. likely with all the updates the 17" PB has except maybe the lighted keyboard.

If I were to guess... sometime the week of March 23... I couldn't be any more specific then that.

I asked the same question when preordering the 17 and was told that the 15 won't be updated at all. If you want built in bluetooth, firewire 800, and lighted keyboard you have to get the 17. The 12 won't have firewire 800 or ambient light sensing backlit keyboard. personnaly i would rather have the 12 for size but want firewire 800 for audio stuff to come. Also the 15 will be titanium while the 12 and 17 will be aluminum alloy. I have seen the 12 and it looks great.

(((k)))

it seems like all the forums say a 15.4" Powerbook update is on the way, several people saying they have information pointing to a release day of Valentine's day. (Wouldn't that be convenient)

I was initially very interested in the 12" Alubook, but speed tests reveal it to be slower than the top-end iBook. That pretty muchs turns me off to the idea of the 12.

Guess I will have to keep on waitin...

The problem with releasing a new Powerbook is the old stock. There are huge amounts of Powerbooks (well, maybe not huge but still, sufficient) still sitting and getting dusty in warehouses all over the world. That's why they removed the BTO-only version (Superdrive model 15" but w/o Superdrive ;-), it wasn't selling the least bit.

When all or most of the old Powerbooks are gone, new ones will be released.

Grtz,
.anerki

I would have loved a 15 inch updated version.... but don't know IF or WHEN it will come out. So I just ordered a 17 incher...

But I am worried about the size... BUT HEY... its only 2 inches wider than the 15 inch model... is that really that much?

Well, it's 2" wider diagonally ...

17" = 15.4 x 10.2
15" = 13.4 x 9.5

you do the math ... :)

I just ordered a new PB 17 inch model... I think that I'd prefer a 15 but its not updated yet and I can't wait...

I'm worried about lugging around the 17 inch BUT its really only 2 inches wider... any thoughts on the size of the 17 incher?

They will probably do to the 15" what they did for older 1.25Ghz towers....you'll go to PB page and click on an OS 9 link to see them, but they will still be there. That's my guess, at least.

I found this at Macwhispers.com:

New PowerBook To Have 15.4" LCD
Sources in Taiwan confirm that Chi Mei Optoelectronics is building a new 15.4-inch widescreen notebook LCD panel for application in Apple's soon-to-release new aluminum shell PowerBook. The new panel is said to have a resolution of 1280x800 pixels, and have industry leading color saturation. Chi Mei has been shipping the new LCD panel to Apple's Taiwan assembly plant for over two weeks.

MacWhispers Analysis
With Apple under immense pressure to bring a revamped 15-inch range PowerBook to market, it is no surprise that they have tapped their new relationship with Chi Mei Optoelectronics to supply the needed LCD panel. While the new panel gives up 54 pixels of vertical resolution to the present PowerBook screen, it brings much better brightness and color saturation, and gives an incremental lift in overall physical size.

We believe this will prove to be a terrific display for the new aluminum PowerBook, and that the timetable indicates a release of that new notebook unit within no more than 30-days.

Back