Apple admits to some faulty iPod Touch screens

There's no official statement. If I follow the link(s) on that yahoo-log, all I find is other blogs and statements of users. But yes, of course, you do just what any user would: The thing's defective, take it back to Apple and have it replaced. Newer devices, starting with production run of week 38, don't have a problem, it seems, reading around the web.

fryke,

The title on Yahoo was called that. The link pulls up this for me:

"Small Number" of iPod Touch Screens Faulty

Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:59PM EDT

See Comments (137)

Apple has admitted that a "small number" of the screens on its new iPod Touch have trouble displaying dark images. Now let's see if Cupertino takes the next step and replaces the glitchy Touches free of charge.
In his review of the Touch, Wall Street Journal tech guru Walt Mossberg notes that some "early" units of the Touch (although not his pair of review units, apparently) suffered from faulty screens; indeed, I could barely make out the dark scenes in "The Hunt for Red October" on my test Touch, and several other reviewers have pointed out the problem as well. Mossberg reports that Apple has admitted to the problems, adding that only a "small number of units" were affected and that the issue is "being remedied."

I'm glad to see that Apple has owned up to the Touch's bum screen (or at least, to the "small number" of Touches with faulty LCDs). Of course, I'd be even happier if Apple offered to replace the defective iPods for free. If you happen to be one of the unlucky few (that is, assuming the "small number" figure is correct), call Apple customer support, read the excerpt from the Mossberg review and demand a replacement; hopefully, they'll oblige.

S.

Hm. -> Mossberg reports that Apple has admitted to the problems, adding that only a "small number of units" were affected and that the issue is "being remedied." ??

Mossberg is _not_ Apple's official information outlet. So far, there's no official acknowledgement and replacement program, so this thing mainly just works as with any consumer electronics. It's faulty, you take it back and get a replacement or they'll "have it repaired" (although that'll end up as a replacement as well). So my point still stands. :)

fryke,

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, just thought you hadn't seen the article. All I was doing was posting what I'd read.

S.

Back