Apple Remote Desktop Alltenitives

bkaron

Yep, That's Me!
I LOVE Apple Remote Desktop 2 but I can't use it with OS 9. Are there any other alltenitives to remote desktop other than the 1st one

- Thanks

Wow thanks. Now, in order for me to use ARD2 (Apple Remote Desktop 2) (on OS X) to see the OS 9 machine. I need to start up (on OS 9) "OS9vnc Server PPC" right? Well thats what I thought, but when I try to add the iMac (os9) to my mater list (on OS X) it says "Verify Failed" and I know for a fact thats the login name (on the OS 9 machine) is "Lee Karon" (no password) am I using the wrong name?

PS: Sorry about all the OS 9's and OS X's :p

Foir clarification, VNC and ARD are two different formats. In order to connect to your OS9 machine from your OSX machine, you will need to install a VNC client on the OSX machine. Apple Remote Desktop will not recognise a VNC session, simply because the format of the service is different.

you will need to install a VNC client on the OSX machine
Not true.
The newest version of ARD will recognize VNC. I have VNCServer installed on two different PC's and use ARD from my Mac to connect and control them.

Make sure you've updated ARD to version 2.1.

Try adding by Address and not verifying.

Ok I have ARD 2.1 (on OS X) and OS9vnc 3.5.0 (On OS 9)

Try adding by Address and not verifying.

How do you do that?

IM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Open ARD. Under the File Menu>Add by Address. Use the IP of the OS 9 machine.

Same thing "Verify Failed"

WHY!!??!!??!!??!!??!!??

EDIT: I thought that maby it would work with a password so I made the password lee. 1st I typed (in ARD)

ip: 192.168.1.101
Usr: Lee Karon
Pass: lee

"Verify Failed"

Then typed:
ip: 192.168.1.101:5900
usr Lee Karon
Pass: lee

SAME THING "Verify Failed"

WHY?

Skip the verify and see if you can connect.

If not, detail your setup. Are both machines on the same network, or outside networks. Router?

I did that, and they are both on the same network, via router

Look at the lasts post's edit. I think it may have somthing to do with the OS 9 machine.

YES YES YES I Skiped the verify and can connect and see the computer, but I can't controll it (acess denined) ?

Edit: This task is not authorized on “Lee Karon”.

Well, you're almost there. The access is set on the VNCServer on the OS 9 machine. Check the settings on that.

This is so wered! I can only controll the computer if I click on the little controll buton on the top left, but I can't click on the same buttion within the vewing window otherwise I get this "You are not authorized to control this computer." I still can't lock, chat, sent messages, etc... I can only view ande controll (sorta)

Why do I not have complete acsess to the iMac?

the usr name is the same "lee karon" and the password is "lee" I typed this in ARD 2 and VNC and I still don't have acsess?

When you have ARD open, and the Master List in view, highlight the machine you want to control, and either click the Control button, or go to the Interact menu to Control.

You should get full access as long as you have the VNCServer setup correctly on the OS 9 machine.

Looks like you may have ARD running on the OS 9 machine and the OS X machine is trying to connect to that.

1) there is a ARD extention on the OS 9 machine, shoud I turn it off?

2) if that works and I have full acsess to the computer than is there a way to make VNC run in the background, so you can't just quit it?

Looks like you may have ARD running on the OS 9 machine and the OS X machine is trying to connect to that.
how do you do that?

Back