Apple shoots self in foot ...

bjurusik

Registered
Check out ThinkSecret ... they say Apple is going to charge $100 annually for it's .Mac services ... oh dear.

About time they started charging for services...

It's important that Apple stay in business, otherwise we'd have to use Winblows.

Admin

i would say offering free itools for every mac would be wiser than charge $100 for a luxury. @mac.com email addresses are basically advertisements for them. so are icards. so are homepage.mac.com web sites. i'm not going to pay $100 for something i can get for free elsewhere (minus the 20MB storage space).
i'd say apple is shooting themselves in the foot.

Don't believe everything you hear over at ThinkSecret...

First off, while I bet Apple will implement some for pay services via .Mac, I doubt they will make the current email and 20MB space a for pay service. They would generate too much animosity with this.

Instead, I would bank on more premium services, like .mac webhosting via Apple's own XServe servers to be the for pay services.

We'll know soon enough...

:)

you will still get free mac.com email, and icards, etc. and maybe even homepage.mac.com websites, theree will just be a PRO version, which has even more/better features and THAT costs money.

good idea imo

A $100 seems kind of expensive but statistics show Apple's user base typically has more money to spend.

Hotmail and Yahoo did this with there upgraded webmail services but no where near $100 a pop.

Most of the big ecard sites have starting charging as well.

It's understandable that everybody needs to make money for these costly services but they all went about it the wrong way. it's hard to offer something for free for years then expect someone to want to pay for it, or an upgraded version of it.

Some research must have shown that people are willing to pay for advanced features and as long as Apple continues to offer their free .mac services, it shouldn't hurt them at all. Likely though they will take away some of the services users have come to expect from iTools/.mac for free and upset a small percentage of people.

Back