Apple TV

tbohlman@mindsp

Registered
My Apple TV runs very hot. Should I place it on a trivet to disperse the heat, or turn it off when I'm not using it. I want to go easy on the Hard Drive. Thanks, Ted

I've felt several Apple TV's myself, including my own and display models at Apple Stores. I too was concerned about this at first. My conclusion is that what is hot to us isn't necessarily hot to the device.

If you can keep it placed in a spot where there's open air above the unit, that would probably be best ... you don't want to sandwich it in-between other devices if at all possible.

It's okay to leave it on, i.e. it won't kill your AppleTV. It will burn unnecessary power, though. So if you're away for a couple of days, definitely take it off the grid. I wish Apple had given the AppleTV an actual sleep- or powerdown-function. The current sleep-function is still using much too much power and providing too much heat.

I believe that there are Apple Remote key combinations that can be used for putting the Apple TV to sleep. Apple has an article about this, but I'm unable to expand the various areas of the page at this time. Not sure if something's temporarily wrong with the page, but here it is: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1522

Back