• Two-Button + Scroll

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MDLarson

Registered
Should Apple offer the option of a two-button mouse? Mac OS X already supports a right-click as well as a scroll, so why not? What's your opinion?

Mine is that Apple mice suck, especially when you can get a scroll-wheel / two-button mouse for half the cost of a one-button Apple mouse.

Vote for as many options as you want. If you want Apple to offer both the one-button and two-button, check both.

I'm actually using a MS Optical Intellimouse with the extra side buttons, which are quite handy, but a 2-button and scroll wheel apple mouse should do the trick.

I like the Apple mouses but would never actually use one because its only one button. Their design is smart, their weight just right, and most importantly they have adjustable click pressure, which I haven't seen on any other mouse.
For now, though, I'll be sticking with my Logitech mouse and Wacom tablet.

Apple should have Logitech design and manufacture all mice and keyboards. The MX900 set they have now is what Apple should have presented as their new BT keyboard and mouse...

I have a 2-button (3 if you count that the scroll wheel can be clicked) but I have to say that I understand Apple's motivation to keep the 1-button mouse: They want to maintain the elegance and simplicity that distinguishes them from the Wintel world. The idea of simple point-and-click gets diluted when it becomes "point-and-left-click" and "point-and-right-click" etc.

It's more of a conceptual decision, I think, than a practical one.

Originally posted by larry98765
I have to say that I understand Apple's motivation to keep the 1-button mouse: They want to maintain the elegance and simplicity that distinguishes them from the Wintel world.
I understand your point, but I believe this distinction is hurting Apple. I'm fairly sure that when an average PC user who doesn't know anything about Apple (and is used to a two-button mouse) walks into the Apple Store and sees these beautiful "all-button" mice, they think, "Huh, where's the right-click? That's dumb."

It's reasonable to assume that whatever Windows marketshare is out there = the same percentage of people that expect two buttons on a mouse.

I don't think a two-button mouse can't be elegant or simple. I think it's reasonable to assume that people know what a right-click or left-click is.

Please apple, have a 2 buttoned mouse, BUT FOR GOSH SAKES LET IT BE A CHOICE. Notebooks get really annoying after a short while with 2 buttons. 1 button/ctrl modifier is PERFECT for laptops. I don't understand why the wintel world doesn't see that.

Stupid Wintel. Superior design is for Apple.

I buy new mice on a regular basis. I also tend to buy Macintosh notebooks, not desktops. I don't miss a second button on my iBook, but of course am using a Microsoft optical mouse with two buttons and a wheel. It's kind of standard now, but I don't need more or less.

_IF_ Apple should change it, I'm for two buttons plus wheel. However, I'm not for changing. The new wireless mouse sounds sweet, might buy one.

Wow, I had no idea OS X had that feature. So cool. Um I vote yes, many people I talked to hold the one click mouse the hardest thing for them when it comes to a Apple. If they could change that around and make right clicking as easy on Apple as it is Windows I say they could have new customers on the way.

Well they could sell a 2+ button mouse as an OPTION it could even be third party (ok that not going to happen) but still i don't want a 1 button mouse that costs 50-60 dollars i got my macally icemouse for $20 it is just ridiculous

and i didn't realize it till just now, but i am oddly hapy with one click on the iBook as compared to my sister-in-law's Viao with two (it drives me nuts)

Well, I'm sure you all know my the-more-the-better stance on it... Apple should have a single-button mouse for newbies—er, um, new users—and multiple-button mice as an upgrade option for us Mac pros. I voted 1-button, 2-B+S, and Other.

What about an Apple-branded trackball? Some people don't like mice at all.

I think Apple should have been more coherent: they assign a lot of functionality to right-click (eg. contextuals) or even scroll-click (eg. open in new tab).
These functions make a 2 button-scroll mouse very useful, if they didn't want users to want such a mouse they shouldn't have given so much functionality to the other buttons.

I agree that for notebooks one button is fine, but making multibutton mice an _option_ for desktops would be a Good Thing.

That said, the new Apple Wireless Mouse is absolutely and mind-bogglingly beautiful. :)
As soon as I can lay hands on it I'll get one and the scroll-wheel be damned! :D

EDIT: Oh, yes, btw. a trackball would be nice too.

I think the reason that you even can adjust the pressure of the button on the Apple mouse is because the entire top of it is the button. With normal mice, there's a clear distinction between button and body, but on the Apple mice you hold the part you can click, which leads you to need some sort of anti-random-click control.

Maybe Apple should also sell a wireless keyboard with included trackpad. If you _really_ want to use your computer laid back, you need something like this, right?

Well, two-button + scroll is enjoying a sizable lead, even among the loyal Mac users! I posted an identical poll here, to see what PC users think of the idea. So far, my conclusion is that this decision should be a no-brainer by Apple. At least offer the two-button mouse as a choice. There seems to be plenty of other Mac users like me who just disdain the one-button mouse and go out and buy a two-button mouse or better.

I have five fingers on one hand and they are all getting fat and lazy. I want a four button mouse with scroll wheel and a thumb mounted trackball that should be green with wh i tt eee s p ot s....

<to controllers>
OK, ok, I'll behave, don't drag me away from the keyboard like that...:D :p
<to community>

One button is nice, two are nicer, two plus a wheel is nicer. Seems you can take your pick. If you like the style, Kennsington has it, if you like the cheap price, macally has it... it's called choice. Apple could make new mice, and maybe turn a profit on them, but you're only going to find the one-button in the box for a long time to come.

Take a look at the poll at sysopt.com. Currently, nobody voted for the one-button mouse. Judging by the comments, Apple's making a stupid mistake if it wants to reach out to PC users. Yes, you can get a 3rd party mouse, bla bla bla, but it's still a mistake.

I don't agree with the folks making the point that a one-button mouse is a bad idea just because they won't like it since it's different - if it's superior, the learning curve is worth it.

However, I have yet to hear anyone give a valid reason that the one-button mouse is an ADVANTAGE. Instead, people have given lots of reasons why you can do some of the same things despite the one-button mouse, and reasons why two-plus button and scroll mouses have very distinct advantages.

I, for one, don't want to pay Apple for a mouse that I won't use. It's just a waste of money.

Back