AppleCare worth it?

aishafenton

Most remote member
Is it a good idea to get AppleCare for my new 12" Powermac? It's pretty expensive (AppleCare that is)

What does the AppleCare Protection plan give you that ordinary insurance doesn't?

12 inch PowerMac? Dude, I didn't know they made those!

Uh, seriously, I think it's a good idea to get AppleCare for a portable. There are just so many little things that can go wrong with a portable that make getting AppleCare worth it. I fried my graphics card, blew my speakers, and had to get a graphics actuator replaced.... and they've replaced anything that's been broken. I've had a good experience with them.

Doh *sheepish look*, I mean 12" powerbook.
Although my G4 cube is about 12" :D :D

What does AppleCare give you though that normal insurance doesn't? I know I'd still need insurance anyhow since AppleCare doesn't cover your mac being stolen or you doing something stupid to it like spilling coffee down it.

If some thingingmabob broke in my powerbook wouldn't my house and contents insurance cover the repair costs?

I normally never get insurance (warranty extensions) for products. However, last winter I dumped a boatload on a DP 1 Gig and Cinema Display. I figured by that time, I had spent so much I might as well get the Applecare. Sure enough, one of my video card's capacitors came loose after being scrunched up against a dangling power cable (internal) and fried the machine. Applecare is taking care of it all, no trouble so far.

However, MAKE SURE YOUR APPLECARE ENROLLMENT GETS PROCESSED!! My enrollment was supposed to have been done automatically at the store, but was not for some reason. I spent two weeks on the phone with Applecare admin to get it resolved. Major pain.

I dont know what is the legislation in your country. In Italy and all European Union countries the mobile phone and computer sellers and manufactorers HAVE TO offer a 24 months warranty. So, if you buy a Mac it _says_ it has 12 months warranty, but it _does_ have 24 months. Apple cannot apply their own rules for that.So a Mac bought in Europe has 2 years of care automatically ...
:)

one of my video card's capacitors came loose after being scrunched up against a dangling power cable (internal) and fried the machine. Applecare is taking care of it all, no trouble so far.

Since this was a fault in the manufacture of the machine by apple, wouldn't they have had to fix anyway even if you didnt have applecare

So a Mac bought in Europe has 2 years of care automatically

That is great, but we still cant order print through iPhoto :(

I bought Applecare with my 17" flat panel iMac. I figured that a with an unconventional design like the iMac's, I could use the peace of mind.

it depends on where your buying it. If ya buy it from a store such as CompUSA dont. However if you get it directly from apple go ahead and get it. Personally I diddent on my New Dualie but on a laptop I probabally would. The reason I metnion stores is beacuse if you go back in there and put up enough of a fuss they will useually fix stuff for ya. But, for a laptop, make sure you have some policy. It will be handy when your batteries start to wear out also (they will replace 'em for free!!)

Why wouldn't you buy a warranty? O f course it's worth it. If you ever have a problem they will fix it. If you don't have warranty you will be paying out of your own pocket which could cost as much as the three years of warranty does. Not to mention laptops get world wide coverage. Do they even have compusas in europe? I just bought a 17 inch pb from compusa. I had bought a sony vaio two years ago with a compusa three year warranty. Long story short. It weas in store being "repaired" for 5 months and 1 week total. It was returned to me 15 times before they would ok a replacemrnt. Then they lied about the replacements price! If you e-mail me I can e-mail you the full story. Basically yopur stupid if you dont buy apple care and stupid if you ever shop from compusa. If you are a student apple gives discounts also for teachers.

"if you go back in there and put up enough of a fuss they will useually fix"

That is the point of a warranty. You are guarenteed they will fix it for three years.

(((k)))

Back