Apple's Newton Just Won't Drop

Yea. Pretty amazing, huh? Newtons buy it price is ebay is still often around or over 400 $ .. pretty good for a 7-10 y old palm.. :D

Oh, how I wish... Still got my eMate 300. Not using it, though... Synching has become more and more difficult. For Windows, you need a 'computer downgrader' which actually makes it run slower so the software doesn't think it has to timeout or something. For Mac OS X... It's even more difficult, actually, because I don't even have a cable that fits. I once had a working Ethernet PC-Card for my eMate, but I guess I must have lost it. Else I could use a Terminal application to send my texts from the eMate to anything else... Or so. ;-)

Well... Maybe there'll be the day of the return of the King of PDAs...

My Newton is still in daily use, and it works just fine with Mac OS X on my system (helps to have a built in serial port). Between NewTen and NewtSync, I can get all I need onto and off of my Newton.

brianleahy said:
I just thought I would point out the intriguing fact that www.newton.com looks awfully familiar...
:eek: What? I've never seen that site in my life! ;)

I bet if Apple brought the Newton back, improved it a bit, & made it cross-platform compatible, it would take off like the iPod. I know I'd look into buying one if I needed to replace my Tungsten E.

Arden said:
:eek: What? I've never seen that site in my life! ;)

I bet if Apple brought the Newton back, improved it a bit, & made it cross-platform compatible, it would take off like the iPod. I know I'd look into buying one if I needed to replace my Tungsten E.

Ive become increasingly demanding for somthing like that for a long time but im sort of tired of waiting so im currently looking for a good Newton now.

The second apple ever releases one i will order it immediatley it just seems like a product that was made to be released with the times of OS X, iPod, iLife etc its a cool device that is surley still king alright. But then how did somthing like that become unsuccessfull according to apple? most of all why?

Basically, some design flaws and very poor marketing. Plus, I don't think Steve Jobs was too crazy about them in the first place, despite what some Newtonians think.

A Newton revival would be awesome, but I have to wonder how many legs the pda industry has. A year ago, it would take wild horses to keep me from my Tungsten T. Nowadays, I use it regularly but do more with my smartphone. Or I opt to take my iPod with me instead.

Because of that story i bought my first Newton (1993 Original) on ebay the other day and im totally shocked that apple could let somthing like this go. I cant wait to use the 2100. THIS THING IS COOL! i found this great site where this guy mods a 2100 to 220Mhz im currently in negotiations to get one of those too.

The newton community is surly still alive and many enthusiasts are still developing for it. I'ts syncing with OS X (Thanks RacerX).

All id like to see is a Hard drive put in, wireless internet, firewire & some development of iTunes/iPod functionality and im laghing..:) I wonder how hard that would be????

I was privileged enough to own two Newton devices in my lifetime. I sold one, then immediately regretted the idea, so I purchased one on eBay. I later lost that one to an ex-girlfriend (long story). :(

Yeah, smart phones are quite certainly eating a lot into PDA sales. It also makes sense, as both devices (mobile phone and PDA) manage parts of your personal and business life... I think the Nokia Communicator 9500 will do this the best for me when it comes out, as it also has WiFi on board and a nice little keyboard. (I just loved the older communicators I've owned...) So: A revival of the Newton would probably only make sense if it'd also be a smart phone.

I like the idea of Apple coming out with a cell phone... even if it wasn't a smart phone. My cell phone is a clunky flip phone. I had a nice Nokia 8260 grey phone. It fit nicely in my laptop bag... now I have a clunky LG VX6000 which I'm not happy with at all.

I'm sure whatever Apple would come up with would be ages better then the LG phones out there.

I have to say that I always thought the Newton and the eMate were superior to anything out there. And it's obvious that they've been an inspiration for the rest of the computer and palmtop industry as Apple's machines have been. Though they did have their issues, I still think they were the greatest gadgets ever. I wonder if anyone ever developed a wifi solution for the Newton devices... I guess better support for 802.11 technologies would have to be added to the OS, as well as a better (if existent) TCP/IP stack.

You never know....

I would still buy one if I had the opportunity... :D

Funny... my cell phone is far from clunky. I have this sweet mama right here and it's awesome, although for some reason they discontinued it. But I also carry around a Tungsten E, as many of you probably know... an Apple-branded PDA phone might be a cool thing, but I'm not feeling gadget overload right now.

If you're gonna get a cellphone, get one you can have fun with...

all flip phones are clunky to me... Ironically the ones I thought were thin and sleek are the older models -- since discontinued.

It seems that phones have gotten bigger and clunkier. Even the phone you pointed out Arden is clunky to me.

The Sony Ericsson T616 is more my style... I'm waiting for more phones like this. I hate flip phones.

Well, I like flip phones for a few reasons. For one, the screen protects the keys when the device is closed, so I don't need keylock. For another, opening it up extends the length of the phone, meaning I get a bigger screen, more room for the keys and closer proximity between my mouth and the speaker in a package that (when closed) isn't much bigger than the T616. And you just can't beat the whole Star Trek throwback-ness. ;)

another good thing with clam phones is that it protects the screen.... ive dropped my z600 so many times..and will drop it many more times... but ill never be worried that my screen will have been damaged !!!

If you have a bluetooth, you just use a bluetooth headset and that solves a myriad of problems. My Nokia 6600 has Voice controls so I can dial and answer using voice commands. Unless I'm sending an sms or something else, I leave it on my belt holster. And you can't get more Star Trekky than having a headset that looks like Uhura's old communication set. :D But as this thread is slowly showing, any pda these days brings up comparisons with cell phones. An Apple-branded cell phone doesn't seem likely for a number of reasons. Maybe a partnership with some other company, but that seems to be taken care of with the iSync.
Maybe to pull some of the best from the Newton and go with the iTablet that's been around the rumor/wish lists rounds before.

Back