AppleTalk in Panther, Server: About Classic

anerki

Registered
How do I connect to machines running Classic from Panther Server? I even tried connecting by just typing afp:/namemac but even that doesn't work.

Is there no other way than connecting over TCP/IP?

Not a big network, just connecting to the Mac over a normal UTP cable so nothing fancy.

My end: Pbook, Panther Server
Other end: G4 AGP, OS 9.2.x

I also can't connect from the G4 to my Pbook even tho Appletalk is on and all ... All settings are set to Ethernet and DHCP Automatic as is required for the ISP. Appletalk is on on both* machines. This used to work before I upgraded to Panther/Server ...

Any help would be appreciated :)

Check in Utilities --> Directory Access to make sure AppleTalk is checked allowing discovery of devices. Some genius decided to make it inactive by default in Panther.

Aye, thanks, that was it. What were they thinking???

Sidenote: I never really noticed before, but a PC with PCMacLan is now recognized twice. Once as an Appletalk enabled machine "ComputerName PC MACLAN" and once as the PC network "ComputerName"

Thanks

anerki said:
Aye, thanks, that was it. What were they thinking???

Sidenote: I never really noticed before, but a PC with PCMacLan is now recognized twice. Once as an Appletalk enabled machine "ComputerName PC MACLAN" and once as the PC network "ComputerName"

Thanks

You are correct sir...that PC Maclan thing is a fact of life now.

Ah thanks! That saved me too! I just ran into an issue communicating with an os9 machine... and this solved it. ;)

Back