Application Not Responding

VALadybug

Registered
I have noticed recently that the only applications/software that is working on my iBook G4 (running MacOSX 10.3.9) are: Firefox, Microsoft, certain games, but when I try iPhoto, iTunes, realplayer, safari, textedit; I just get the spinning ball and when I click on icon on the dock it says "application not responding". I have tried the disk utility and repaired permissions but still have problems. I also downloaded new version of Yahoo Messenger and other software, they load and when I try to click on the icon, nothing happens. Please HELP! Thanks.

How much RAM do you have?
How big hard drive, and how much empty space? If you have under 15 % of space in hard drive empty, empty more t have at least that.

When you open some of the applications that are not working, what is showing in Console when they fail to open?

Hello,
I have gone through the process of dumping all unnecessary files and running the disk utility, verifying preferences, etc. When I click on an icon to open an application, the icon may or may not bounce but the application does not open. When I right click the icon, it reads "application not responding". Now, it's worse. I can't access certain websites, just get the spinning ball, or even when I try to make changes on a Word document, it just gives me a frozen screen and the dreaded spinning ball. What's a bug to do????

I have noticed recently that the only applications/software that is working on my iBook G4 (running MacOSX 10.3.9) are: Firefox, Microsoft, certain games, but when I try iPhoto, iTunes, realplayer, safari, textedit; I just get the spinning ball and when I click on icon on the dock it says "application not responding". I have tried the disk utility and repaired permissions but still have problems. I also downloaded new version of Yahoo Messenger and other software, they load and when I try to click on the icon, nothing happens. Please HELP! Thanks.

So how much empty space is there? Over 15 % of space free, right?
What shows in Console when you get this error?
Have you used OnyX to run the maintenance scripts? That would be the next step.

Open Console, and try to launch some applications.
Something will generate in its system or console log. Post the error lines that will show then to the thread - they'll help understand why it can't launch them.

I tried but the spinning ball showed up when I try to access the log. There are several of them, I just can't seem to open them. Should I give up and spend an arm & a leg to take it to Apple??? :-(

Ouch - that does not sound good. Let's try a few more things to nail what can be the cause.
Do you have more than one user set up for your system? I wonder if this happens for all users or only one of them.
And have you tried safe boot? (hold shift from start up until you see the text safe boot, it may take minutes to load)

So did the same happen also for the other users or not?
Can you create a test user and see if it happens for that?

Back